1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best way to travel by car with a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davidgoldman, Jun 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I have to leave my bass (in it's case) in the car for a couple of hours. It is supposed to be in the upper 80s. Is there a "best" way to do this?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The only real concern for that couple of hours is theft.

3. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I never leave a bass in the car..for both reasons

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Never
    leave
    your
    bass
    in
    the
    car

5. I understand your "never leave your bass in the car" but that is not an option. Any tips as to best way to do it when you have no choise?

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    It will fine for a couple of hours in a hot car as long as it's in its case, which provides a good amount of insulation.

7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I had to do this last Friday.
    Just crack the windows a few inches.
    Make sure the bass is not in the direct sunlight.
    Cover with a blanket.
    My bass was fine after a full day at work.

HolmeBass and DavC like this.
  8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    In the trunk if you have one.
    Out of sight.
    In the shade if possible.

Oh, and put it in the trunk before you get to where you'll be parking .

9. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    How do you get it to the gig?

10. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Take the bass inside with you. Whatever you're ducking indoors for, there's bound to be a place to stow it for a little while.

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It'll be fine for a few hours. Park in the shade if possible and keep it out of sight.

Wait to open the case until the temps equalize.

Probably takes it out when he gets to the gig rather than leave it in the car.

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's not always an option. But if it's for a few hours and the bass is out of sight, then it's fine.

gebass6 likes this.
  13. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    As said, park in shade, and put the bass in the trunk...even if that means taking it out of the case.
    I'd be far worried about theft than heat

Also if at all possible park under cctv or in a monitored parking garage.

14. flam

flam

Sep 20, 2010
    Tempe, Arizona
    Put it in the car. Take it out when you're ready to no longer have it in the car.

Seriously, my bass has to sit in 110+ ambient in a car for an hour or two before we play a show sometimes. Take it out, tune it up and go. Action might have changed slightly, and the bass feels a little warm, but that's about it.

15. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    If you are a fresh string weenie like I am and prefer your strings as bright and lively as possible as I do, a hot car can sometimes kill string life. Other than that, a couple hours in the car isnt too bad. As stated earlier: theft is your biggest concern. the few times Ive had to leave my bass in the car (in a gigbag) I just set it as low and inconspicuously as possible behind the seat as possible

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  16. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I always have my instruments in back of the hatch with the divider hiding it from both prying eyes and sunlight.

17. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I keep a bass in my work truck 365 days a year. The only bad thing that may happen is in extreme heat/humidity, the strings will go dead quite rapidly. Other than that, the bass as a whole is totally perfect.
    Theft is a whole 'nother story...

gumtown likes this.
  18. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    So what you are saying is if you have flats on a p bass with a tort pickguard, the strings will go bright?

19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Which is why you look at a book on how they used to disguise airfields in WW2 and find a blanket, some left over boxes from a fast food restaurant, some bits of a cardboard box, and some used tissues for camouflaging gear you need to leave visible.

20. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Not to worry about heat. I've left my bass in the car many times with temp. approaching 100 and humid as all get out. I'd guess it can get up to around 140 inside the car. Bass is over 20 years old and still fine.

whiteox, Lvjoebass and klokker like this.