Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best way to wire up a rack compressor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pd_5string, Sep 21, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I am about to purchase a dbx 160a compressor and would like to know what is the best and quietest way to hook up the unit into the signal chain. I have a WT400+ and a D210XLT cabinet.

2. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Bass->comp->amp!!!

3. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    So, I have to plug my patch cord into the back of the compressor? That is kind of inconvenient :(

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    wrong forum

moved

5. No, it goes bass>>preamp>>compressor>>amp. The compressor input wants line level, not instrument level, but since you're not using a seperate preamp the compressor should work fine patched into your effects loop.

6. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    dbx needs some power to run properly, so plugging to the effect loop will be the best solution if you don t have separate preamp

7. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    So guys, would it be the same difference for my Alesis NanoCompessor? I've always just gone bass>comp>amp. (defeating the internal one.)

8. You're safe. The Nanocompressor is designed to accept instrument level inputs as well as line level inputs.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Just run it through the effects loop. I have a wt800 and it sounds great. Hit the comp. bypass switch on front if you have it

Rob

10. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Don't you get a huge amount of hiss??