1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best ways to identify a dying battery.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by albass111, Feb 28, 2008.

1. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    What do you guys think the best way to identify a dying battery in an on board preamp is? I usually keep mine until I hear a noticeable lack of output, or distortion, and by that point it is too late.

2. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    I usually go by the same signs. I'm also on board for receiving any clever new advice. :bag:

3. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Every 3/4 weeks I check the Voltage of the Batts.... if I get a result = or below 7.5V, I change them. That's the only "safe" way to avoid bad surprise!

M

4. Whenever I need to replace the battery in my tuner, I replace it with the one from the bass and pop a new one into the bass.

5. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    We got an old Boss tuner at the basement (rehearsal place) that tells if a battery is dead or good.

But....

I have been using rechargeable batteries for a while now. Great things, they are. I got a quick charger that came with it, so even if I get caught with a dead battery and no spares (shame on whoever has an active bass and has no spares) I can be up and running in about 15 minutes. I'd like to say that they last longer too, but I'd be lying because I have no idea how long a regular battery lasted. but I did leave my bass plugged in a few weeks ago when I went to Mobile, AL for the weekend. I got back and could still play, but it took a minute to power all the way up if I unplugged it. So, 3 days of plugged in after a few weeks of casual practice before I recharged it. Not too shabby.

6. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    press it on your tongue, if it stings, battery is jucy, if it does not sting a lot, it's going to be dead soon :) simple and easy ;)

that quick charger & rechargeable batteries are good idea!

7. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    exact! like ralfie does on albass111's avatar!

8. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    :) LOL!