1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best weird/unique combo effects pedals (that sound good on bass)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by remcult, Sep 29, 2019.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    I don't mean multi-effects pedals, but pedals like the Dispatch Master (reverb and delay) or EHX's Canyon/Grand Canyon (delay and looper) that combine and overlay multiple effects. I'd also consider stuff like Red Panda's Tensor legitimate, in that it's meant to manipulate the sound in a variety of ways.

2. Then you might consider Source Audio C4 Synth or Spectrum in their separate parts as envelopes, filters, pitch shifters, octavers, modulators, tremolos, vibratos, sequencers, distortion, harmonizer

AlvarHanso and remcult like this.
  3. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Best is a very wide term...best for one bassist is top tier only...for another it's best under £100. For me...uber nerd...tecchi head...the best available is something to strive for and work towards. So a bass savings plan with a bit put aside each month allows me a yearly gear budget.
    An Eventide H9 (max or core...upgraded each month) is by far the best single "oh my gawd it does everything" pedal on the the market...but it only does one effect at a time. But it does that effect to an exemplary level, clarity and it just sounds so good. Once maxed out, it's really worth buying a 2nd core unit (because they then get maxxed out) to then play with more than one effect at time.
    If I wanted a single multi FX unit that was a one stop shop...I'd get a Helix.
    If you want a range of amazing single unit top tier digital effects that are dedicated to a specific type of effect (delay, dirt, reverb etc) then look up Source Audio's one series units. I have two the they are pretty amazing units, top tier sounds and punch way way higher then their RRP.

DrMole and remcult like this.
  4. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    I'd absolutely count those!

Robertron likes this.
  5. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Exactly, this can be as subjective as you like: I mean "best" here as in "something you like a great deal." This is less a buying guide and more my being curious as to what weird/funky combo pedals people enjoy using (or just like the sound of, practicality doesn't have to be a factor, and neither does owning it currently)

6. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Closest thing I have and use is my Southampton Utility Knife.

remcult likes this.
  7. tube-zipper.png

You said weird right.....?
    Discontinued unfortunately but it's the bomb for when you want the sound of a flock of ducks flying into a meat grinder.
    Mmm, mmm good. :)

HapHazard, Rich67 and remcult like this.
  8. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    But you're right in that I was too vague. For instance, I wasn't really thinking of something like the Helix. Admittedly I don't know too much about it, but it sounds like it doesn't let you tweak or combine multiple effects within the pedal, and that was more along the lines of what I was going for

9. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    My favorite has been thus far the H2O chorus and delay. It's just sweet.

remcult likes this.
  10. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    EQD Rainbow Machine. It’s got a “Magic” switch and a “Magic” pot.
    From a traditional, thick chorus, to a whacked, self oscillating, barber pole pitch frenzy. Wonderfully weird.

remcult likes this.
  11. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    That's definitely a weird one. It was too weird for me, and I dig weird. I tried using it in very spacey, ambient situations, and still it just didn't quite fit. I played 4 gigs with it, and sold it, and never used it during the gigs, only soundcheck. Bandmates all thought the Magic button was cool, but none asked why I didn't engage it. Wouldn't mind having a cheaper used one for recording, just to add some crazy background sounds. As crazy as it sounds by itself, throwing a fuzzy synth sound in front of it would create utter madness.

remcult likes this.
  12. Boss MO-2 Multi Overtone. It's polyphonic octave up with chorus, and one of my very favorite pedals. So many uses especially for bass, and the sounds are new and familiar at the same time.

Also EQD Afterneath is absolutely glorious on bass, especially with fuzz or distortion.

Wito and remcult like this.
  13. bassbassbass12345

bassbassbass12345 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm a big fan of running the LFO from my mf-102 (usually set to square) into the Sweep In CV on the mf-103 for a weird bi-phasing thing. Have the phaser set to a slow LFO for that nice swoosh with a faster LFO rate on the 102 and you get what sounds like a bass computer taking mushrooms for the first time.

AlvarHanso likes this.
  14. EHX Superego+ maybe that effect pedal you didn't know you needed until you got it, like me.

AlvarHanso, cosmicevan and remcult like this.
  15. Why has nobody mentioned Dr Scientist's BitQuest?

Montreal Assembly's Count To 5 is very manipulative.

Mid-Fi's Clari (Not) mutilates delay with vibrato, or is it vibrato with delay? Or the Pitch Pirate.

Roland Funny Cat with its "Harmonic Mover" and "Soft Distortion Sustainer", is a favourite of mine, would love to get an original unit some day when funds permit.

Casper Electronics echo-pitchshifter, circuit bending gets bent.

DOD Vibrothang, the pedal that doesn't know if it's a vibrato or a phaser or something else...

You may find some combos in this thread:
    Effect pedals that were just too "out there" but you still kind of want them?

cosmicevan and remcult like this.
  16. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Crap, just the other night at a gig I’m like “I need the sound of a flock of ducks flying into a meat grinder!”

And so I step on some pedals and ...fark: Two pigeons flying into a screen door. Kill me now.

remcult, Roland GR 88 and vvvmmm like this.
  17. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Human Gear Animato is at least famous (or infamous?). It's a muff-like circuit and a Rangemaster-like treble boost circuit in one pedal.

I have one, and it's pretty gnarly. Very tight and angry sounding distortion. Works pretty well on bass when you want the bass player to somewhat mimic some high gain guitar riffs (like, if there's only one guitar player and he goes off on a solo or is just playing higher notes). Probably would want a clean blend if trying to get more traditional use from it for bass playing.

remcult likes this.
  18. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I love the strange and unusual and those get a lot of action w the projects I play w.

As suggested, montreal assembly makes some amazing devices. Count to 5 is incredible but I get a lot more use out of 856 for Zellersasn and the new PurPLL is probably the best pedal I have tried. I am also a huge Red Panda fan. So.much love for the Tensor and Particle 2 also. I run the Tensor into Particle all the time. Sounds great and put a little oscillating fuzz through it or a sweeping LFO and blast off!!!

I love PLLs all types, the Elta is like a multi effects box as is the PurPLL. Recently fell in love w a Charlie Foxtrot from Malekko too. What a time to he alive as a pedal nerd.

Bob_Ross and remcult like this.
  19. @cosmicevan :: You should check out Sonic Crayon if you haven't already... the Anti-Nautilus, the HollowEarth etc. That's just for weird pedals.

Sonic Crayon's offerings, Montreal Assembly's Wrong Side of Uranus etc... Must be something in Montreal's water...

I'm a big fan of Parasit Studio's stuff, I've built one pedal from the wonderfully disturbed mind behind Parasit. Much of what he offers is PLLeasing to the ear.

@Bob_Ross : I don't always need/want a flock of ducks flying into a meat grinder. Growing up on the prairies, screen doors are the norm so I kind of like the sound of two pigeons flying into a screen door — so tell me, where can I get this "Kill Me Now" and which pedal-atelier makes it?

Bob_Ross, remcult and cosmicevan like this.
  20. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wow tons of stuff I haven't heard if. Awesome! I'll most certainly poke around for those, thanks!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021