Best weird/unique combo effects pedals (that sound good on bass)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by remcult, Sep 29, 2019.

1. The Parasit stuff you can buy pre-built or build it yourself. Hours of fun before and after.

cosmicevan likes this.
  2. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    I'm trying to wrap my head around the Tensor and Particle 2, but it's slow going so far (I've been dropping by shops to test them out for a few hours at a time, not exactly efficient). I find the Particle 2 more intuitive and pleasant, but the Tensor has ahold of my imagination

3. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey

this looks cool, i have no idea what i'd do with it

CliffD and cosmicevan like this.
  4. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    You could write a song called Simon Says. It sounds just like that game. I tuned out after 36 seconds, though.

FilterFunk likes this.
  5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh man...I have been GASing for that box so hard...and his drone box as well as the kick drum...and pretty much everything Mattoverse.

But glad I waited for the PurPLL. That thing is an instrument on its own. I am slowly learning how to play it and loving it. I was also eyeing the Drone Thing from electro faustus as well as the Ricci drone and hand synths. I really love making music w anything and everything and the tech is such that you can really do a lot of unique things. I love being able to make full soundscapes on my own too.

I'm trying hard not to get into modular. One of the guys in a band I am in is deep into modular and he uses it in our jams too.

I had the opposite experience. Ive barely scratched the surface w the particle. I have 4 presets in it that I toggle between (1 is straight up normal delay, another is 30% reverse amd the last 2 are out there ones). The Tensor I use all of the time. When I first got it I didnt get it and kinda hated it and then I figured out a few things out and started vibing w it. Snagged a 4 button remote and that opens it up. I use it as 2 presets and the 2 pedal buttons and it gives me 4 different effects plus the left button and nxt mode w momentary gives you a zillion possibilities because you can vary the length of the buffer which can do a variety of sounds against each preset. Pretty amazing. I really should dig in deeper on it but I love it this way.

Ive been waiting on the disaster area micro ghost to dig in hardcore on the particle 2. The ghost micro arrived the other day so soon gonna really get deep and swap out a bunch of stuff from my board.

remcult likes this.
  6. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Been toying w the idea of building my own. Its on my someday maybe list.

I looked up the sonic crayon stuff and it was so unobtanium that I chose not to hear what they can do since it seems like Id never be able to track anything down.

7. You're very wise.
    I listened to that unobtanium, and I've been seeking solace in the GASsifieds ever since.
    I partook in the curse of the solder-fume ritual, and forever more it will rule if not ruin my destiny...

cosmicevan likes this.
  8. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Interesting! Now that I've gone back to the Red Panda videos from Knobs and actually have a better sense of how the controls work on the Tensor, I'll give it another go. I'm enthusiastic about the potential of a lot of these devices, and I like the idea of getting a pedal and getting to know it well (I don't think flipping pedals constantly, and definitely not pedals of this "type" would suit me). But I could really only justify buying one at the moment, and I only have a glancing interest in ambient or pure noise music (which they seem to be overwhelmingly used for), so I suppose I'll have to take a leap and just choose one, dive deep, and see how I can make it work for me.

On my current "seems weird but wonderful" list:

Red Panda Tensor
    Red Panda Particle 2
    Hologram Infinite Jets
    Mattoverse Inflection Point
    Mattoverse Tetrastep mkII
    EQD Hummingbird (not so versatile as a lot of the others, but I love how choppy it sounds)
    EQD Rainbow Machine
    Caroline Kilobyte
    Alexander Pedals Radical Delay DX
    Meris Mercury 7
    Chase Bliss Thermae
    WMD Geiger Counter Pro
    Pigtronix Mothership 2

there are definitely others, but that's off the top of my head at the moment

Edit: oh yeah, and Bananana Matryoshka

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Bob_Ross and cosmicevan like this.
  9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whoa this parasit stuff is NUTS!!!

10. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    C4 synth>ADA Flanger>CC Delay

11. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds sick!

Stranger Danger likes this.
  12. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks man, I think I can fish with this sound.

cosmicevan likes this.
  13. Thanks for your response. I’m geeking out right now. I’m a bassist at heart. Played since my first rock band when I was 14. Just what I hear first in all music. That being said, I recently bought a Variax because I’m playing guitar in an acoustic trio (last 10 years) and want to expand to more groups where the occasional electric makes a difference (Petty, Eagles, etc). One guitar does almost EVERYTHING. Want the Helix LT to go with it. Because the bass is “bone deep” on me, I still want to play, if only to compose and record my own stuff, maybe background tracks for solo gigs, whatever... because I don’t think I’ll ever be in another group to play bass exclusively. Didn’t know how crazy I want to get with effects, but wondered if the Helix is compatible with the bass. So much good stuff out there now.

Ken

14. CliffD

CliffD Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    GFI Specular Tempus...you can't run two engines at once (delay/verb) but damn son it sounds absolutely killer on the basses.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021