best wire to use and where to get it

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by drewphishes, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    hey guys
    adding the vintage tone circuit to my rick this weekend.

I have plenty of cloth peel back vintage wire around from other projects? should I just use this?

if not can i get decent wire at home depot or the like?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Wire is wire in a passive guitar or bass circuit. Any stranded copper wire will do. Just use whatever you have. Cloth covered pushback wire will have no effect on your tone. It’s mainly used for vintage cosmetics and out of nostolgia.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

If you're melting the wire insulation, you're doing something wrong.

96tbird likes this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

If you're using TefZel coated wire, there's less chance of melting it.
    So, less chance of doing it wrong. (following that^ logic)

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If you need to use Tefzel wire because you keep melting plain old wire insulation, you shouldn’t be soldering anywhere near a pickup. Hows that? :roflmao:

Axstar, tlc1976 and Pbassmanca like this.
  7. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I'd use the cloth push back since you've got it handy and: it looks real nice and "vintagey". Then, you can pretend that your Ric is an Olympic white 1959 P bass with rosewood fretboard..........:D

96tbird likes this.
  8. Killed_by_Death

They don't make the TefZel & Teflon coated wire for no reason. Use it with confidence!

The question was "best wire" & that remains my answer.

9. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I would get wire with the same colour of insulation as that inside the Rickenbacker. This is because I like my wiring to look neat and consistent; as though it came from the factory.

Wire with insulation that is difficult to melt simply encourages poor soldering practices. Okay the insulation doesn't melt under duress, but you could still cook other components. Switching push/pull pots aren't as resilient to heat as normal pots, and the switching mechanism tends to be the weak link. Soldering up a wiring harness is a bit like boxing! You want to be three steps ahead, and you want to be in and out of there in a flash.

10. SoonerBill

SoonerBill Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2017
    They do make TefZel, Teflon and similar insulations for a reason. They are much harder to nick and chafe causing shorts. Hence the aerospace designation. If you’re using them to not melt while soldering you’re using them for the wrong reason. If you’re melting something like polyolefin insulation you’re putting too much heat into the component you’re soldering and could easily cause damage components. I spent 15 years as a bench repair and calibration technician working on laboratory equipment. I’ve spent the past 16 years as a manager in an aircraft maintenance facility. I know quite a bit about correct soldering technique. TefZel, Teflon and others are the best wires for their intended purposes but those purposes are not that they don’t melt when soldering poorly.

96tbird likes this.
  11. Killed_by_Death

Thank You!
    It's also nice that an added benefit is that it's more difficult to melt the jacket :laugh:

sprag likes this.
  12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

68BBD3F5-8618-4092-8CD0-5CCF8C162A98.jpeg

Hoochie Coochie Man likes this.
  13. Killed_by_Death

Finally got around to re-soldering my instrument cable today, because the old joint cracked loose recently.
    Quickly got reminded why stuff gets overheated, because even after painting on some flux paste the solder was just not sticking to the sleeve.
    It finally did after heating it up quite a lot, luckily nothing got melted, except solder, of course.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018