Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Wireing Options for my setup?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vorak, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Here is my setup and how it is currently wired. I'm not sure if I've got it wired right or if there is a better way to do it as I'm sort of new with having a rack mount setup.

Schecter Elite 4 running into an Ampeg B2R. Out of the effects loop I have a new BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer and running out of the PreAmp out I have a Korg Tuner. Then obviously the speaker output runs to my 410HLF cab.

Is that setup right? When I have the BBE turned on I get a lot of white noise coming out of the speakers. Is that normal? Any help would be appreciated. I can get pictures if need be and let me know if any more info is needed.

Thanks guys!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you're going to put the BBE in the effects loop, you'll need to have the effects blend set to 100%, otherwise you are blending your clean signal with a phase-modified version of itself, which can cause phasing issues like dropout. If the signal cancels part of itself out, then you're likely to turn up the volume, raising the noise floor.

Possibly better options would be:
    bass--> BBE--> Ampeg or
    bass--> Ampeg--> preamp out--> BBE--> power amp in.

HTH!

3. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I don't necessarily have to have the BBE in the effects loop... that was just the only place I thought to put it.

I'll try running my bass to the ampeg to the preamp out to the korg to the power amp in. Hopefully that helps out.

Also, the only way I can think of running my bass into the BBE first is to run the cable around to the back of my rack.

Any other suggestions would be awesome too. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get back home.

Thanks for the reply bongomania.

4. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Bongomania is right: the effects blend (if the Ampeg has one) should be at 100 percent if you're running the BBE through the effects loop on the Ampeg. Otherwise the harmonic tightening and algorhythms that the Sonic Maximizer generates will be quashed, and the timing that's involved with its effectiveness will be compromised as well.

That's where the BBE should be connected, by the way: in the effects loop. That advice comes straight from BBE when I asked a technical rep about it about two years ago. I run a BBE 362NR through a Genz-Benz GBE600 (formerly through an SWR Bass 350).

5. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Alright, I've got it back in my effects loop. I've talked to a couple of people and they all have said to keep it there. I still get a small buzz but its hardly audible when I'm at practice. The only question I have left is the effects blend. I have the Ampeg B2R head and as far as I know, there isn't an effects blend dial or anything on the head. Any suggestions?