Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best wireless outfit?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spoonplug, Oct 9, 2002.

1. spoonplug

spoonplug

Jul 13, 2002
    Which wireless oufit is best? I primarily play a 9v Fender Precision Deluxe 5 string, but use my passive jazz and p basses ocassionally. I want to buy a new or used one and haven't got a clue as to which one to buy, how much I have to spend to get one that will sound good with a bass guitar. I play in a large church in a semi-rural setting, so interference should not be a problem. I will be within 100' of my amp at all times. Would appreciate any feedback from some of you who have "been there". Thanks, Dwight

2. Flipping through some older posts, I saw this one. I tried a lot of wireless units before I settled on one. The Sennheiser Digital 1000. It uses the same, albeit lower grade, technology that the X-Wire system did. It only has 4 channels, but I've yet to get interference (and I play in Washington DC and Baltimore...almost every radio and TV frequency is full). I also felt like it didn't diminish my bass sound. I'm sure it does a little, but not enough to notice live at all. Everything else I play (most everything under $1000) really killed everything below A. I also liked that it had a metal transmitter body. They're on sale now, I think, at American Musical Supply. My only caveat is that the cable it came with for the transmitter was crap. For almost 600 bucks (what I paid for it ~2 years ago) is shouldn't come with a molded cable. It crapped out and I had Full Compass make me one for about 25 bucks...well worth it.

Nulty

3. i've had good luck with the shure ut series uhf... i've gigged with it for 4 months now, nearly every weekend.

specifics:

-$369 last time i checked
    -if you check the battery light before and after every set, you'll never go dead
    -set the level on the front of the receiver to 2 o'clock, it should provide the same gain as an average cable
    -don't touch the factory settings for the other pots (rf level, etc)
    -the padded case that comes with the unit is a great feature

i think munji has had the same system and is happy with it.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I use a Sennheiser Evolution 100 and have had great luck with it.

Also, this is in the wrong forum.

Moved.

5. hey ryan....

i bought the evolution 100 and it sounded bad, it had an annoying scratchy high end (like a radio station that wasn't tuned in). i went through the manual several times to trouble shoot and adjust, same result. so i returned it.

i must have had a defective one...

have you gigged with your evo 100?

b

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The X-wire is universally regarded as the best wireless for bass. Its no longer made though, and expensive and hard to find a used one.

I have had very good luck with a Samson Airline Bass model. For $300, it can't be beat. I use a 6 string with a low B, and notice VERY little tone loss using the unit.

7. I purchased the Sennheiser 1000 about two weeks ago from American Musical and tomorrow I ship it back to them. When I first turn it on it compresses my sound just like a cheap noise gate would do. After about five minutes of that, it would quit compressing my sound and start hissing and farting just like a blown speaker. After five or so minutes of that mess it would stop and sound great. Sounded as good or better than going direct with a cord. Thirty minutes later, back to the hissing and farting. Checked the amp and guitar by going direct with a cord, nothing but clean clear sound. I moved the reciever away from the amp as far as possible with no luck. Also while it was hissing I took the cord out of my Cirrus to see if that made a difference and it didn't. American Musical want's me to talk to their Tech support before I send it back. If they determine it's a defective unit I won't have to pay for shipping it back.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep, I like mine. It goes down to 20 hz. Bitchen. Can be had for about $300 at GC, with proper wheedling.

9. gee, munji, i seem to remember paying that exact sum for mine....

us wheedlers know how to conserve the salad...

;)

10. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i've got the sennheiser digital 1000 and had very good success with it. sounds like you got a bad unit. that happens occasionally. they're gear is very good. by all means exchange it. once you get a good one, i think you'll be pleased.

11. JamBassist/ I have a replacement being shipped as we speak. The people at American Musical were very cooperative. It should be here Friday and I have a booking Friday night. Not sure if I will test drive the thing an a gig but I might. I hope it works cause I can't stand to dance with the cord all night.
    I'll let ya know how it works.

12. I've got one of the newish AKG UHF systems with the guitarbug. 35 hours (true!) on an AAA battery, and it actually makes my upright sound better than when playing through a high quality cable, which begs me to believe it's got some sort of preamping going on. And the guitarbug is soooo compact!

13. Shure UHF - The Guitarist.

14. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Please, can someone tell me the exact product reference ? I made a search on Shure UT, and it lists several models...

The one I'm lookin' for is the one that goes down to 20 Hz...

Thanks in advance !

15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes, I have used it in well over a 150-200 gigs. I have never experienced any problems with it, and definitely not the problem with the high end like you said you were experiencing. Must have been defective.:confused:

16. Sennheiser 1000 number 2 goes back to American Musical Monday morning. I have had Zero luck with this wireless. Almost got one night of problem free use out of the second unit. The thing uses one fresh battery up in less than 3 hours. Used the unit the next weekend and it started compressing my sound, farting, hissing just like the first unit did. I'm not impressed with this wireless at all. Granted the transmitter is a tough piece of gear but the reciever looks like a cheap toy. American Musical Supply has been nothing but first class with my problem and has mailed me another pre-paid UPS return shipping label. It is possible I got another deffective unit but I'm not willing to give it another try.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... looks like they've changed the line a bit. It's listed under "performance Gear," but it's still the UT4 receiver. Click on the link below.

Performance Gear Wireless (UT)

18. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Is that the Digital 1000?? I have heard nothing good about those, I am glad I didn't buy one when I was shopping around. I have heard they color your sound something terrible.

19. Ryan, when it worked it sounded great. Could tell very little if any difference in the sound of my Cirrus. I guess I'm a little picky. I want one that will work right all the time. Like I said before American Musical is standing behind the product (or should I say the customer) and giving me a full refund. Can't ask for much more than that.

20. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Munji. So that is the pack called "The Guitarist". Simple.

But there are 2 models (UHF and VHF). Which one do you recommend ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance !

All the best,