1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Wireless System for Less Than $175

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by John123z, Aug 12, 2007.

1. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Just as the title indicates. Budget is tight. Is there a wireless system that will handle down to 40hz and have channel switching in case of interference for $175 or less? And please don't say 2nd hand XWire, I've been looking for a while and they don't come cheap.

John

2. Nothing. Maybe a used X2.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A wireless unit under $175 is also called a waste of money. It will cause you more aggravation than it's worth. Buy once, cry once. $300 - $350 is the starting point for a wireless worth having. At $175, you may be able to find a good used Shure UT unit (replaced by the PG series). You want the one with the black face (older), not silver. I used one for years, and it worked fine. It's dual-diversity, UHF, and goes down to 25hz. Even the PG won't get that low.

You do not want VHF, and dual diversity is a must.

Also, this Shure L4 would be good.

Or you want this one:

[​IMG]

Not this one:

[​IMG]

4. i agree :D

5. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    But isn't the L4 VHF?

John

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would agree, except in the case of Samson wirelesses. I've used the Stage series wirelesses for almost 20 years, and they sound great, reproduce the B string no problem, and are very rugged.

7. +1

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Perhaps, but hey! It's MARCAD!

9. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    +1 on the waste of money under $175

I use the AKG Guitar Bug system and for convenience, reliablility and sound quality I think it's one of the best choices you can make. At 249.00 it won't break the bank either.

JKT:)

10. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Seems to be a lot of L4 receivers on ebay without transmitters. Anyone know what transmiter works with this receiver?

John

11. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Thanks guys, I found a used Shure UT for $150 (black face) that goes down to 20hz. It's being shipped as we speak.

John

12. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Received the Shure wireless UT system. However it came with a UT1 body pack and a lapel mic rather than a WA302 instrument cable. So, to make a long story short i cut the mini XLR (ta4f) connector off the lapel cable and soldered it to a 2 ft. shielded audio cable ( pin1=gnd and pin3=audio). Dialed in all the settings and it sounds perfect.

John

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Way to go. You done good.

14. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Thanks again for your suggestion of the Shure UT. It paid off big time.

John

15. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I have 2 Samson systems that I got in Italy for quite a good price. I have no idea how much they are in the USA, but they are probably not very expensive. I'm quite happy with both of them. They're the Airline system, with the little bug transmitter and stompbox style receiver. One is the guitar, and the other is the bass. I use them both on bass, not really any difference except the bass one has a "Shape" switch on the receiver for an EQ shape I personally don't like.