1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Wireless System?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by et141311, Mar 17, 2009.

1. et141311

et141311

Oct 25, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    I'm looking to buy a wireless system but dont know about the dos and donts to buying one... Which brand? Cords are getting on my nerves lately :meh:

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You probably don't want to pay for the best...

I have been very happy with the Shure guitarist. It was relatively cheap, and I honestly do not hear anything lost in my output quality. It has never blipped or cutout even one time in the 4 years I have had it. It has a light on it that changes color as the receiving signal deminishes (either distance or battiers drained in the belt pack. Battery life is good. I got mine used for $150.
    Wes

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    X2 being blown out for 199 at musician's friend tis the best until you pay silly money and even then :bassist:

4. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Where are you from? X2 is great, but don't work in some countries. In US it is OK.

5. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
  6. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    If you can you should check out the Sennheiser EW 172 G2.

http://www.sennheiser.ca/main.php?node=ct_01&pro=121

I'd say it's one of the better units in it's price range, now I paid like $750.00 for mine but I went into the wireless approach with the mind set that you had to spend money to get something good and short of spending like 3k on one this is the next best thing.

Now in the live application it performs quite well. The unit actually boosts your volume for you to cut through just that much more. So if you are using this unit, you may want to roll back your volume and gain on your amp just a little bit because it is quite a jolt initially of how much more presence it adds, in a good way of course. After all you want to have the benefit of no cables and still cut through beautifully if not better.

It's rack mountable(if you buy the rack components separately) and has plenty of accessories to boot. The one thing you'd want to make sure you get in a habit of doing, before and after your set, is checking up on battery pack life. They eat batteries like mad if misused. So get in the habit of turning the pack off when not in use and have it unplugged from your bass.

I know it seems like a pretty silly thing for me to mention but it's one of those simple mistakes you could make without thinking about it and the last thing you need is going dead right in the middle of the set. Now there is plenty indication on the LED screen of where the battery life is sitting at so no worries, just be sure you keep tabs on it before and after. Fortunately for this unit they have a rechargeable battery pack and charger base(sold separately).

Apart from all that the unit is quite good and I have been very impressed with the results. :)

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Works great for me in the US and UK so far.

8. dirtybass

dirtybass

Apr 30, 2008

+1

9. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    I use the X2™ XDR95 Guitar Wireless System too!

Works great and I can't tell the difference between my Planet Waves Pro cable and the wireless system.
    I bought a right angle cable for it as well from Tour Electronics in CT.

Uses up a 9v battery per 4 hour show.

10. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    Not to hijack the thread, but I've been wondering about the X2 stuff for awhile. Is it worth the extra money to get the one with metal chassis? I guess you get a hundred extra feet of range, but I'm the singer in my band so i'm usually close to the mike anyway. What do you x2 guys think?

11. It's not that it doesn't work in the UK, it's that it's against the law! frequencies are licenced over here and you have to pay for the right to use them...you can't get arrested, but the police (and also over-zealous sound techs) are perfectly within their right to stop you using the wireless gear in question.

12. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I use a Shure ULXS.

I've ordered the X2 twice and I wanted more than anything to like it. It would free up some valuable real estate on my pedal board and I liked that the unit is fixed at unity gain.

The first one was DOA. The transmitter and the receiver wouldn't synch up. Sent it back.

I tried again a few months ago. This was a scratch and dent model on sale. This particular one was beyond being scratched or dented. The threaded collar on the transmitter for the input cable was busted. A few online reviews pointed out that this seems to be an inherent weakness in the design.

I was offered a new one as exchange but I declined. Having read the other reviews about the input jack collar and having seen it myself, I couldn't justify investing in something that had a good chance of breaking. I gig a lot, depend on the income and use my wireless for soundchecks at every venue.

Another negative impression had to with the battery compartment of the transmitter... it didn't strike me as being very durable or convenient. I change my rechargeables before every set that play - 3 times a night. I had a feeling that I would be duct taping it closed by the year end.

If they redesign the transmitter, I'll try it again without hesitation. Like I said, I really want it to work out but it has to be pro quality.

13. et141311

et141311

Oct 25, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Every thank you very much for all your comments... I cant spend more than $200 right now so I'll end up getting a used one most likely... Kinda like most of the stuff I have gotten... Used lol.

Now I have a better idea going into buying one.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

That's the one that I use. My church got it used for $169. The only downside to it is that it is on the 700 MHz frequency, and those will soon be used for AT&T and Verizon's LTE cellphone bandwidth, making it illegal to use, and if I do continue to use it, who knows what kind of interference issues I will have when LTE gets to my area. Of course, that could be 10 years, we don't even have 3G yet.

15. I just recently bought a Shure PGX system. So far so good. My band played a few weeks ago with it. And my guitarist used a borrowed Shure (a slightly older model from mine) from a buddy of mine. No problems, they both worked great. Its so nice to move freely around the stage!

-ryan