Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Wireless?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassSteve, Mar 12, 2006.

1. BassSteve

BassSteve

Mar 12, 2006
    Hidy Ho There Neighbours,
    I am new to this site, so if this question has come up several times already, maybe you can steer me to the appropriate thread. I am considering a wireless setup. I've been playing over thirty years (why would an old codger like me need a wireless, you ask..;) ) and I had several back in the day, but am fairly clue-less regarding the newer technology. I am very particular about my sound, and don't want entry level crap. I am also gigging part time these days, so I don't need the ultimate either... something moderately priced that ain't gonna suck tone. How about that??

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, whatever you get, you want UHF and dual diversity. Now what do you mean "moderately priced"? A pro-level rig is going to be about $2,000. So you've got your $300 moderate and your $600 moderate. Shure's newer PGX stuff is good bang for the buck, with some frequency agility. It's in the $300 - $350 range. The onliest problem with that is that the frequency range goes down to 45hz, while the B string on a 5-string is 31 hz.

Then you've got their ULXP and ULXS series in the $550 - $700 range. I just got a used ULXS, and it works superbly. Its frequency range goes down to 25 hz. Perfect. The ULXP has a slightly bigger feature set, but not really necessary. If you buy any of these units, call Northern Sound and Light to get a price. Don't buy the SLX units. They're good, but again, only make it down to 45 hz.

AKG makes good stuff, and their Guitar Bug system is cute and handy, but the transmitter eats batteries faster than one per gig, so you'll need to replace the battery after it craps out on you in the middle of a song. So, if you go with AKG, get the one with the standard body pack, but keep in mind, it only goes down to 40 hz, fine for a four, but maybe not for a five.

Sennheiser also makes some fine units, about which I know essentially nothing. I do know that their digital units use some of the technology developed from the venerated X-wire, but that theirs are 20-bit and the X-wire was 24-bit, or something.

Bottom line, you want UHF dual diversity. I like the Shure ULXS. Under $600 at Northern Sound and Light. http://northernsound.net/Sales/Wireless/wirelessframe.html

3. BassSteve

BassSteve

Mar 12, 2006
    You and I have spoken before on one of the other sites a few years back... I just found this one. The unit you mention sounds like what I'm looking for. I want something that is going to give me full frequency response. The cheaper units are usually a compromise. Thanks again :D

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It wasn't on the ill-fated Lakland forum that Kevin Walker single-handedly destroyed, was it?

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Or maybe I bought something from you, or vice-versa.

6. BassSteve

BassSteve

Mar 12, 2006
    Although I do own a 55-94, I never participated in the Lakland forums. I believe it was a newsgroup style forum called The Bottom Line or something to that effect. Anyway, thanks for the advice.. I will look into the Shure. I have a friend over at Kaman, which is a big distributor, so he might be able to hook me up. What are you playing these days??

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    See my profile for gear (just click on the Munjibunga). My main band broke up last August (prescription drugs mixed with alcohol), and I joined another band for a couple months. They wanted to practice on weekends and, with an 8-year-old daughter, I need weekends for her. So I quit. My brother and I have been auditioning people to "get the band back together." We've got a lead guitarist and girl singer coming in this week for auditions, with about three of each in the wings. It's going to be a classic rock/pop band, with a country set in there somewhere.

I've been playing my Fender American Jazz Deluxe FMT at most gigs, backed up by my 55-94. The Roscoe Becks see a fair amount of action, too. My Sadowsky koa top has seen two gigs, but I'll start playing the Tuxedo Bass as soon as it gets here. Been playing through my WT-800 (now in the clinic for a sex-change operation to the B model) and Aggie DB 750, both through a D-410XLT. I've got a Bergie HT322 that will start seeing gigs this summer.

OK, everybody, break time's over. Back on topic!

8. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Xwire sounds best when you can find them. There is one on the Los Angeles craigslist, although pricey.

9. BassSteve

BassSteve

Mar 12, 2006
    Who makes X-Wire?

10. X-wire. They're out of business, sold the technology to Sennheiser.

Xwire is the best wireless out there, no companders, its better than CD quality digital signal. If you can find a used one, you won't be disappointed. Senheisser's version was less bits, still digital wireless. Got one I uses for vocals (headset mike), as potential backup in case the Xwire ever breaks and I can't find a new one.

Randy

11. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I took the advice of the 'Munji' man and contacted Northern Sound & Light. I purchased the Shure PGX-14 from them, and 'Munji' was absolutely spot-on with his advice... I was pleasingly surprised with NSL's price: about a hundred-and-ten bucks cheaper than any other source I could find on-line!

From my most recent experience with my PGX-14, and considering 'Munji's' comment, "...the onliest problem with that is that the frequency range goes down to 45hz, while the B string on a 5-string is 31 hz...", while I am not intellectually savvy enough to argue otherwise, I do play two 5-stringers through this unit, and the 'B' rumbles right along as if it was hard-wired...

...I purchased my PGX-14 from NSL for $269.00... shipping to Hawaii was another twenty-eight bucks... I am a very happy wireless bass player... thanks again for the advice, 'Munji'... :D

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
  13. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    The latter day Samson Airline for bass has been serving me well.
    The initial units were a bit sketchy, but the last couple of go'rounds seem to work really well, if not over too too much of a distance.