Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Wirless systems?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whats the best wirless system out there that money can buy? And what makes it the best? Any info ya'll can share would be helpful.

2. jondiener

jondiener Guy in the corner, looking at his phone on break. Supporting Member

I have no first-hand experience with them, but from what I've read, the "X-Wire" digital wireless systems are the way to go. Some folks (who would know) have said they actually sound better than a cable. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.bananas.com/news_dir/microphones/xwire.html for a short explanation/review

or

http://www.xwire.com for company website

[Edited by jondiener on 12-12-2000 at 10:38 AM]

3. i belive that its almost impossible to get a new xwire at the moment, i heard that their making parts for shure or somthing, and people have been on the waiting list for an xwire for over a year, and havnt heard anything. i wouldnt hold my breath.

I have heard that shure makes a good wireless, and that alot of people who couldnt get the xwire use the shure. i dont know which model though

sidenote: Banana's at Large! that store is in San Rafel CA! who'd have known that a small mom and pop store could be used as a referance. LOL

4. I use a Shure UC wireless that is excellent. Any UHF model from Shure is a good bet. The one I have is a high-end unit, but I'm sure the other models are good too.
    My bass sounds better when running through the wireless than it does through a cable. Instead of slightly lossy signal with a cable, I get a slightly boosted signal from the wireless. It's transparent, just a little hotter. No loss of lows or highs to speak of.

I've tried the X-wire. Didn't like it compared to the Shure. It made things sound different, wierd, sterile. It just wasn't right. The last I heard, Shure was still working on their digital wireless. We had a prototype we tried out (since the guitarist worked there) and it still had problems, but that was a year and a half ago.

Just get a quality UHF unit and you'll be in business.

P.S. not sure this thread belongs here.