best wood for a body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thelastofus, Apr 5, 2003.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I'm building a pbass and i'm going to order a body from usa custom guitars but i'm not sure what wood to get. i'm thinking mahagoney but i was wondering what the tonal differences between the wood is and what's most commonly used. thanks.
  2. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    all boils down to what sound you want, and kind of look you want you bass to have.

if you want to look at the traditional way p basses have been constructed you can look at these woods

alder- medium warm tone with a balanced brightness to it, it is also one of the more affordable choices. it is best with painted finishes or as a tabacco sunburst maybe even cherri sunburst as well.

ash- beautiful grain structure good for satin and other rub on finishes and clear transparent finishing

poplar-good for shape molding, has a sound like alder- best in solid colours. slightly heavier than alder.

there are other choices that have tone like these and tones that are unique, but are chosen for their beautiful grain patterns. you pay more for them, but then you get what you pay for.

some get a bodywood of lets say mohogany then add a maple top to add some brightness to that warm tone the mohogany gives off

i know i have mispelled mohogany. oh well.

one more thing your sound is affected by how you have your neck constructed.

maple fretboards give off a brighter tone than rosewood and hold up better to weather/humidity changes. ebony is a bright and durable, gibson has used it on guitars for years to probably balance out that warmth from their set in mohogany necks

your best place to ask this is to the pro luthiers, and skilled ametures in the luthier forums ( i think that is what they call it)

also go to they have a page in their site totally devoted to woods. and they have a section on woods for necks in both their neck area and their gecko bass pages.

good luck to you, paste pic of the finished product for all to see.