Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best wood for making your bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Theshortlist_to, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Im currently ordering a custom made bass and would like a really pale almost white wood with a nice interesting grain.

any advice?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Maple is a very pale wood with interesting figuring.

3. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Mark's right - maple is very light in color and you can find figured stock in a lot of places. Ash is another good light wood with a somewhat busy grain, if you like the "baseball bat" figure.

Other light colored wood choices run a little more exotic, like lacewood (almost looks like scales) avidore (kind of a marbled look) and canarywood (a nice figured yellow). Come to think of it, the Ken Smith site has some good shots of their exotic stuff - http://www.kensmithbasses.com/woodpages/woodpagecontents.html

Also, it might be a good idea to check out your local woodworker's supply stores to get an idea what else is out there. You never know what you're going to find!

Lonnybass

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Is this for a body or a top only?

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Swamp or Hard Ash!

6. Rock maple for the neck, swamp ash for the body, add a figured maple top if you wish. Oh, rosewood, ebony or maple for the fretboard (ebony if fretless). These are my favorites.

7. Sycamore is also a possibility, and to my knowledge Holly is the palest wood available, but doesn't have a distinctive grain. And there's always 'Cookies & Cream' Buckeye Burl, almost white/beige with very interesting things going on 'grain-wise'...

8. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    hey the maker has just suggessted just having a veneer for the tone i want on the surface, and i will probably be going with a birdseye maple.

thinking mahogony for the neck

now i want to know what would make a nice core body wood.

i want really low bottom ends from my bass and something that resembles a warwick sound would be amazing.

suggestions please

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    At my age, balsawood.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what he said