1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best wood/wood combo for pick and fingers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheOriginalName, Nov 27, 2018.

1. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    Hey Talkbass,

I’m aware this is the holy grail of debatable questions, but I’m gonna ask it anyway. I play mostly fingers and pick. I love some of the Cream bass lines, I’m quite fond of boom. Is there any particular wood that is best for this? I’m aware pick grants some more attack, so, I’m hoping I can grab a pick as soon as I want a more growly vibe, or just play differently with my fingers. Anyway, is there any wood that would be more “bass heavy”?

2. My chimp like brain would think that pickup/layout, EQ, strings, rig and technique are going to vastly outweigh any influence of particular wood used for construction of a solid body. My .02...

stingray69 likes this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    What method do you use when not employing the above?

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
  5. bearfoot

bearfoot SUSPENDED

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    It really just depends on what sound you want. This will only apply to ABG. Mahogany back/sides is down the middle, maple back/sides is bright/punchier, rosewood is a more buttery tone and helps the soundboard project more.

6. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    None. I dislike slap.