Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best woods for a jazzy Carvin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snarf, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    So I'm looking at getting a Carvin B4 sometime in the near future. (Carvin B4) I'm planning on using this bass for jazz and funk, I try to avoid rock whenever possible, and for that I have a precision bass (which, sadly, I use for my jazz playing at the moment).

I'm wondering what wood for the body would give the nicest tone for jazz. I'm looking for warmth and depth, with excellent balance in response between low and high frequencies. I'm looking at walnut, mahagany, and swamp ash, but the ash seems like it may be a bit too snappy. Any input?

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Personally, I'd probably prefer the stock alder to ash for the application you mention. I'd also look at koa for the body. I don't know if it's listed as an option for the B4, but you might be able to get it if you ask.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Koa is an option, but I don't really want to pay the extra $100 for it. Plus, Victor Bailey did a workshop at NGW last year, and I wasn't all that impressed by the sound of his koa bass.

4. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    Wouldnt Swamp Ash give you that tone?

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I don't really know, I heard from someone on another forum that swamp ash is kinda bright with scooped midrange.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No offense, but that about Victor's bass doesn't really prove anything. Different bass, different electronics, different player, presumably different amp.

Remember that you can't look at body wood in isolation to give you the tone you want. A bass is a system. Swamp ash may be a bit brighter/more scooped by itself, but you can often counter that to some extent by using different neck/electronics.

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Bump, kind of hoping for some more input. More specifics: the neck will be maple, the fretboard ebony, and it's bolt-on. Two jazz-style passive pickups.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You'll probably get more input by going over to the Carvin forum.

http://apps.carvin.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    my carvin is koa and maple. i would describe it as a pretty mellow tone.

10. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    What kind of jazz are you playin. I have a Carvin for jazz, bit it's a hollowbody(AC40). It's Koa, fretless with Labella tapewounds. Great for straight up jazz, not so much for jazz/rock.

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Lot of standards, and when I go to Berklee I'd like to get into some fusion playing. So a versatile bass is what I'm looking for, but focusing on genres in the jazz idiom. Definitely going for frets, I already have a fretless that I love.

12. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Well, Koa is supposed to be a wood that is in the middle--not too bright and not too warm. Swamp ash is traditionally a rock music wood. The advantage of alder is that it's lighter in weight.