Best Workout Music?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Those of you who bike, jog, walk, hike, trek, weight train, rock climb or do any other exercise and feel engergized listening to music while you work out, would you please list your favorite workout music?

Right now when I workout at home with my humble dumb bells I like to listen to Santana's latest album. At the gym, they play mostly electronic music, even trance, which is so monotonous that it drives me batty, but some of the music has a pretty acceptable rhythm for cardio.

When I'm walking outside I like to listen to heavy metal, particularly Metallica.

I'd like to know your favorites. Maybe some of your choices would work for me.
  2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Definately either Dream Theater, Symphony X, Liquid Ten. Exp., or King Crimson.

I guess because their music is so energetic, it gives me energy.
  3. Boplicity

Bass Wizard 55, I'm in agreement there. The music has to be energetic to get me going at a good pace.
  4. I don't like music when I work out, it distracts me.

Most of my workout is biking and swimming. In swimming I usually don't hear anything anyway, so it's a moot point. But swimming in silence is soooo nice.

The same thing with biking. I think the sounds of nature are enough for me.
  5. now i know i'm not gonna give the typical answer here, seeing as how i am only 17, but i run, weight train and bike, i play baseball and rugby, so i have to stay in shape, i either listen to rap/hip-hop, punk rock, or ska rap/hip-hop has a good beat for weight training, it gives u a good rythmn to lift to, punk is great for running, it has to have a solid, driving beat though, and ska is perfect for bike riding to cardio, most of it is fast paced, makes me wanna move anyway, and has a good flow most of the time
  6. I don't work out,or engaged in any physical activity(unless you call playing physical)

I just play bass:cool:

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Well, my form of working out is mountain biking (downhill/freeride.) Before I ride I always listen to some form of hip-hop (especially Jurassic 5 or the Roots.) I find that having a good beat/groove in my head alows to me pick sick and/or fast lines.
  8. i get pumped for work-out type stuff with fast heavy stuff. like Slayer "undisputed attitude": quite possibly the most angry, energetic, violently power-charged sounding album ever.
    also, Sepultura's "chaos AD" album, especially the song "territory."
    when i'm just out and about, walking around i usually listen to Rush (moving pictures) or maybe slayer (reign in blood).
  9. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    Basically(no pun intended), you can't go wrong listening to Weather Report's, "Sweetnighter" CD, or tape. The first two are good running songs, or if you like to do martial arts like I do, just for the exercise, they are good to practice to. Track 3, is more of a slower song. So, I'd use that for a cool-down method(ie stretching, yoga, deep-breathing exercises). Track 4, "125th St. Congress" just plain kicks ass! It is soooooooooo funky and groovy you have to do some nasty push-ups/heavy lifting and squats with that one. That song, alone, will make you burly(and is also worth buying the CD for that track alone!). Track 5, "Will", is another mellow tune, and features a nice bass lead by Miroslav Vitous, one of my faves. And, track 6,'s a little weird, but that's what's cool! It would be a good one for a cool down run/jog, or a mini bike ride.

Happy workouts to you all!!!!!!!!:p
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've tried and finally come to the conclusion that I can not listen to music while working out. I have such deeply ingrained rhythm that I always work out to the rhythm of the music. This means I either work out too hard and hurt myself or I work out too lightly and don't get a good workout in. I just read when I'm at the gym or if I'm jogging outside I just have the sound of nature.
  11. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Agreed, I like to listen to heavy stuff while I work out - gets the adrenaline flowing more, I suppose.

OTOH, while I'm doing household chores I usually prefer to listen to jazz or classical.
  12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I like to listen to The Ramones when I'm working out. Their short, simple, rockin', up-beat tunes keep me goin'!
  13. Boplicity

It is interesting what a variety of music we exercisers here listen to. Those who say they do not listen to music when outdoors are probably a lot safer than those of us who do because ear phones and music can certainly hide the sound of approaching traffic (or miscreants.)

Still, I see many joggers, etc. attentively listening to their personal steroes. I am often curious what they are listening to and try to guess based on their age and appearance. My husband is fond of listening to motivational tapes when he works out, but I don't like someone nagging in my ear.

My very latest workout music favorite is Micheal Buble, whose Frank Sinatra-esque big band uptempo music sets a good pace and mood for me. Also, Brian Bromberg plays acoustic bass on this CD on most tracks. I don't know how he recorded his bass parts, but they are wonderful. I can't recall ever hearing a better tone on a recorded acoustic bass. I wonder if it is some new technology. Anyway, I love his basslines on this CD.

Buble is not quite Sinatra, but comes as close as anyone in recent decades. I'm pleased to see his Cd is high on the Billboard Internet sales chart if only because lots of folks will be exposed to Brian Bromberg's exquisite acoustic bass.
  14. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, anything along those lines.

Normally I workout faster if I'm not listening to music/watching tv at the same time though. :D
  15. latest is the Queens of the Stone age CD. Other tracks are nothing like No One Knows (Neither bad nor good, just different). Serious jams.

I typically run 15-30 minutes, then lift 30-45. I usually wind up right at an hour.

I used to have a tape of tool, metallica, Alice in Chains, and some techno remixes of Gravity Kills.
  16. I used to listen to Pantera and Alice in Chains when I worked out. Recently, I got back into working out, and so I tried to work out to Strapping Young Lad and Devin Townsend, but it didn't really work for working out. Even though some of it is very heavy, there's a lot going on melodically so, it distracts me from working out.

I've actually been listening to rap when I work out. Some Tupac, Dr Dre, amongst others. I found the hip-hop rhythm and attitude to be helpful in my workouts.
  17. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I find live recordings are more enjoyable than studio recordings if I am working out.
  18. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I like:

Rage Against the Machine: Evil Empire
    Mortal Kombat: Soundtrack
    C&C Music Factory: (Hell yeah!)
    311: (That one with Down)
  19. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I don't listen to music when working out or running. I find it really distracting.
  20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Dead Kennedys: Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
    RATM: Battle of LA