Best year for standard fender jazzes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceeprm, Dec 10, 2004.

1. ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Hi whats the best year for standard USA Fender jazz basses? Im not talking vintage but the more recent ones- like are the newer ones (with the "better instrument" stickers) from the last few years any better than the previous ones? I understand thsy started using graphite rods in the neck and such like. Ive been offered what looks like a nice 1999 standard but then Ive heard all about Fender quality control...

2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Believe none of what you hear and 1/2 of what you see. Check the bass out for yourself and make your own desicion. I own a 2000 in natural and I love it!
  3. ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Yeah your right- Im still considering the marcus miller also- trouble is all the basses I want to try are all in different shops and mostly setup badly!
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ask the shop to set them up so you can properly try them out.

If they arent willing to do that then chances are they arent willing to help you out if you have trouble later and arent worth shopping with.

You just have to find one that really does feel best to you.
  5. I have a 2004 with the s1 switch. It does not make it sound like a P Bass but it does make a difference. I love the way the neck feels and how easy it is to play when set up properly. It does sound fantastic and you can get some very good sounds out of it. :bassist:
  6. I second what Nickman said. In order to really see how good and instrument is it must be set up correctly or at least to your personal liking. Things you can check out regardless of setup are the neck joint tightness, fret installation, electronics, straighness of the neck, weight if it feels unsually heavy or light, general fit and finish. I've seen some off the rack nightmares and some excellent ones too with guitars and basses. They are ALL different should have their own personality.