Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Year of Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liran, Jun 24, 2001.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE BEST YEAR FOR THE FENDER JAZZ BASS?

Explain your answer.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The first year. Without it there are no other years;)

3. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    A year besides the first year please.

4. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    The second year, because it continued the tradition of the first year into the future.

5. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    1972 - love that maple fretboard with black block inlays. plus, that's the year of Geddy Lee's jazz bass.

6. 1996.

They had finally overcome the shortcomings of the early 90s models (like that ugly upper horn) and they also put this dinky little 50th anniversary plaque on the back of the headstock that is just SO cool....

Other than that, agree with Brad.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have four, a 1968, 1978 and two 1997 5's. I've played a ton of them including lots of pre-CBS ones. Other than the first year (I think they got it right, right out of the chute). My favorite of the rest is one of my basses from one of the supposedly worst years, 1978. It's the most aggressive sounding Jazz I have and it's dead stock, an Ash body with Maple board and pearloid inlays, my favorite look for a Fender Jazz.

If the question was, "which Fender bass would you like to recieve as a gift?", ruling out artists' basses like Jamerson and Jaco, I'd stay with my first answer...the first year.

Bet you thought I was kidding;)