1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best "You Pick My Bass For Me" Thread This Week

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by henny, May 1, 2006.

1. Buy the Ages cherry burst jazz, you know you want it.

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. The VB sig Roxor111 buy it now and you will pown all

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. What!!! You consider a fender and you could have a sadowsky?!!?! Guards!!

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. You T/Fool! Go do some practice and stop blaming your instrument for your faillings (or "carrots")

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Right chaps, an ash bodied, maple neck Fender American Deluxe Jazz V with super sexy aged cherry burst finish has come into stock. There is, to my knowledge, one and only one in the country and it took 6 months from being ordered to arrive. It has happily been the subject of my lust for some time but has not been a problem as I have not been able to buy one. But now I can. :eek: :hyper: :eek:
    Time to buy it or let is slip away for ever.

But in this distant and desolate part of the world, such a bass costs 2900 units of currency. Which is a lot of units of currency. Not unaffordable, but hard to justify.

And if I’m going to spend that much I could get a Victor Bailey V. Which seem universally heralded as a sweet bass. It would only be a few hundred currency units more.

Or I could get a Sadowsky Metro fiver for 3500 of the same currency units. (Although none of the finishes really do it for me at all) (Which is totally odd, as my stingray is natural ash with a black guard and I love it, the metro with the same leaves me totally "meh")

But I hear you ask, "Why are you buying a bass in the first place, don't you own like 7000 already?" Ok, so maybe that was my flatmate asking and not you, humble reader, but still I shall answer.

Main gig bass = stingray 5. Great bass. Awesome bass. String spacing at bridge too narrow for my preference. Too aggressive at times for what I do. (Sadly cheesy corporate covers. at least it pays me enough to consider buying more basses!)

Other basses - Yamy TRB6P. Awesome bass. Completely over the top for what I do. I would have to actually practice to get any real benefit out of the thing. Too heavy for 4 hour gigs. Launch all fighters!! Launch all fighters!! ;)

Warwick Ltd Edition (2001?) Corvette Fna. Super sweet bass. Never gets played as it has only 4 strings, which although only a problem about 10% of the time, is still a problem. There’s also issues about it and my ex, but that’s another story.

My Fretless Godin semi hollow body? It's cool but not exactly a main bass. For me of course.

My old defretted Korean Spector? Same

Now everyone needs a fender in their collection right? (Or at least a fender style bass) So I have to buy one don't I? (?)(was that really a question?)

(enough with the parentheses already!:eek: )

Oh and of course all 3 of these basses are 1500 miles away from me so don't tell me to go play em myself. I already know to do that. I want to know what YOU think I should do? I've never even seen a sadowsky, an American dlx jazz (4 or 5 string) or a VB signature in person, but I’ve played plenty of jazz basses.

Without further delay, vote now.
    (Oh sweet merciful jesus, he stopped typing)

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I was torn between the VB & the Sadowsky.
    But, having owned both, I would say Sadowsky.

Plus, Fender has a pretty good reputation for "dogs". Meaning the bass my actually be horrible.
    Now, after playing about 5 different VB 4 strings, I didn't notice it on that model, but almost all the other models the quality varies widely.

Sadowsky on the other hand, almost exactly the same from bass to bass.

3. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    Yes, you need to have a fender in your arsenal.

I just bought a Marcus Miller Jazz and now feel that it is o.k. to release my other jazz bass. My six string thumb is my main bass but I always have to have a fender!

They are the most reliable basses made. Drop it off a plane gangway and the thing isn't even phased by it.

Go for it!

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Well, you have a point there!!

Again, your right on the mark. I'm in the same boat with ya. My old Jazz will never go anywhere.

I sure hope your talking about your Thumb. Fenders are NOTORIUS for inconsistancies in quality.
    And this isn't just my opinion. It's pretty much an expected issue to have to play a few of them to get one that is good.

Warwicks are extreamly well made and I hope your comment was about them. But Fenders, it's too bad because as a working player, you need to have a Fender or Fender style (ala' Sadowsky or the like) hanging around for the most part.

5. Ok, so far 8 of you say sadowsky is the way to go.
    7 say the jazz dlx and only 1 vote for the vic bailey.

Now 4 of you sicko's have told me not to buy anything and to go practice. What is this, the technique forum?! (you are ofcourse excused if you are sociopathic "carrots" chooser)

But in a stunning twist of fate i realised that the sadowsky's are a fixed price, meanin i'm looking at over $4000, which is just to much for me for a bass that doesn't make me wet myself with excitement (Mtd 535 I'm looking at you here)

So its down to only 2 realistic options.