1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bestow upon me you amp wisdom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobostein, Jan 26, 2012.

1. bobostein

bobostein

Jun 5, 2009
    A few amp questions that have been lurking in my mind.
    1. Will 200watts @ 4ohms be louder than 200watts @ 8ohms?
    2. Will a 410 with a 800watt power rating be louder than a 410 with a 400watt power rating when the same amount of power was used on both, lets say 200watts?
    3. Is there a sound difference if a cab is on feet/casters vs. just the bottom of the cab on the floor/stage?

2. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    2. all things being equal - no difference. what makes a difference is your speaker efficiency, this is rated something like 96db @ 1 watt. if both speakers have all things equal except for max power rating, then the higher rated speaker can get louder at the higher wattage. at teh same watts, they should both put out the same volume.

3. yes it'll sound different.. with more of your cab is touching with the stage, more frequencies can be transferred to the stage to vibrate the stage. this is called coupling.

i'm not answering no.1 because it's probably impossible to have all things equal except the ohms. even your amp will act differently to different Ohms. but in an ideal theoretical situation there would be no difference. :duck:

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    1) Possibly, but not enough to notice.

2) A 410 with a higher sensitivity rating will be louder than one with a lower sensitivity rating, when you input the same amount of power. Their impedance (ohm rating) is pretty irrelevant.

3) There can be. Or there can not be. Mostly depends on the floor, I think.

4. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    1) Possibly, but not enough to make a difference.

2) Maybe, but not because of the power handling spec, which is probably garbage anyway.

3) Depends.

5. bobostein

bobostein

Jun 5, 2009
    Thanx everyone:)

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No. Loudness isn't measured in watts, nor does the power output have any direct relationship with what loudness is measured in, decibels.
    Again, the power rating has no direct relationship with how loud a cab plays.
    No, not unless the feet/casters lift the cab at least a foot or so.

7. 3. If the stage is hollow and resonant, it can often be beneficial to have the cab on castors, or better yet, on rubber feet. This will help minimise the boom and vibration that many stages have.