Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bestselling Holiday CDs of All Time

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

According to the Palm Beach Post about 100 new holiday albums are released each year. In recent years such albums have enriched the music industry by nearly $150-million a year, more than one percent of overall annual record sales of between $12- to 14-billion.

While it used to be believed that only artists who were "washed up" crooners made holiday albums, it soon became apparent to industry analysts that holiday music does well both in good economic times and bad.

Here are the holiday CDs that have been the highest selling of all time.

8 Million-Plus

Kenny G: Miracles: The Holiday Album

7 Million-Plus

Elvis Presley: Elvis' Christmas Album

5 Million-Plus
    Barbra Steisand: A Christmas Album; Mannheim Steamroller: A Fresh Aire Christmas and Mannheim Steamroller Christams; Johnny Mathis: Merry Christmas

4 Million-Plus
    Various Artists: A Very Special Christmas; Mannheim Steamroller: Christmas in the Aire; Various Artists: Christmas Through the Years; Mariah Carey: Merry Christmas; Various Artists: Now That's What I Call Christmas; Celine Dion:These Are Special Times

3 Million-Plus

Garth Brooks; Beyond the Season; Kenny G: Faith: A Holiday Album; Amy Grant: Home for Christmas; Elvis Presley: The Wonderful World of Christmas

I was really surprised that Kenny G has the number one best selling holiday album of all time. But it should be noted that while G has the single best selling holiday album, Chip Davis is the biggest selling artist because his series of holiday albums under the name Mannheim Steamroller has sold twenty million albums. That does not include sales of his newest album released this year "Christmas Extraordinaire."

Another interesting fact is that two of the best selling holiday artists, Streisand and G, are both Jewish. Also one of the best known Christmas songs of all times was written by a Jewsih composer, Irving Berlin. That song would be "White Christmas."

I'm a big holiday music addict. Just thought if any of you share my enthusiasm you'd find this list interesting.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    JO-
    Thanks.

I'm surprised Peanuts Christmas(Vince Guaraldi) didn't make the list; BTW, I saw this disc, with revamped artwork, at Starbucks Coffee today.

Nat King Cole's disc didn't make the list, either?!
    That's tragic.

And-
    I had rehearsal today(inside a radio station)...the Oldies part of this building has dedicated itself to playing only Holiday music for the next month(no complaint from me). Anyway, I heard a killer version of "Rudolph" by Ray Charles(Fun-kay) & don't laugh-
    The old J5 Xmas stuff is pretty darn cool, too.
    ;)

And-
    I heard a strange Christmas tune on this station twice today-
    It's The Beatles' "Ticket To Ride" but with holiday lyrics...kinda cool & I have no idea who did it.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I can't recall a Christmas album that's been released in the past decade that was remotely interesting to me-particularly their new Christmas originals. They just all feel so lifeless and seem like an excuse for over-doing all the vocals (particularly Carey). Mannheim Steamroller is fun, but it's just not Christmasy to me. To me, the Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, and Anne Murray Christmas albums will always be tops. This is probably because I was raised on them, but they just feel much more honest and spirited than most of the newer releases, which seem to dominate that poll. And I so agree that the Charlie Brown Christmas should be way up on that list.

4. Kenny G "Miracles", indeed.

Chalk me up as another one who's surprised that A Charlie Brown Christmas is missing from that list. Everyone I know has that album, and it just ain't Christmas until you hear "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and sing along with the "Lu Lu Lu" part until your head hurts.

I seem to remember several years back a Xmas version of the "Red Hot and Blue" series that had some interesting stuff on it, and I'd thought that it would have done well enough to show up on that list too.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

What surprised me most on that list was the presence of Mariah Carey. I'm not a fan of hers anyway, but it just really surprised me so many of her fans did buy her holiday album.

Just in contrast, among my many Christmas Cds is one by "Tony Bennett: The Christmas Album-Snowfall." That just has to be far superior to Carey's. Plus there are so many more. I love a recent release by Manhattan Transfer. What a wonderful Christmas CD! Yet I bet it sold nowhere near what Carey's did.

Another album on the list is that of Celine Dion. What a disappointment that was! I bought that and actually only care for a couple songs on it. I really figured she could do up a holiday album right, but she didn't deliver.

Like Diff said, many of the recent CDs have been disappointments. I loved the old Ray Conniff, Percy Faith, Montavani and Johnny Mathis holiday Cds form the late fifties and early sixties.

At least we have been spared--so far--from a holiday CD by J-Lo.:D

6. and_Justice

and_Justice

Jan 14, 2000
    Did any rock bands put out christmas albulms? I think Jimi may have, but im looking for something like "It's A Black Sabbath Christmas".

No offence. :)