1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beta 15a vs. JBL E140

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Nov 5, 2013.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I currently have a Beta 15a in my Showman 1x15 cab that replaced the JBL E140 I sold off a while ago and the Beta sounds pretty good, but is a little on the darker side tone wise.

I remember my E140 sounded amazing in this cab, had great detail, and cutting tone with good low end.

That being said, I am thinking about switching back to another E140 to get the most out of the Ashdown LB-30.

My question is.. How do these two speakers stack up against each other, and if I do make the switch will the JBL provide more volume than the Beta?

2. The JBL is slightly more sensitive (will be slightly louder) but most importantly you like the voice of the JBL better.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    +1 I owned two E140's and really loved them. They came in and out of several cabinets, and sounded just as good in a pair of B-15N Double Baffle Cabinets as they did in, my newer (at the time) Music Man 1x15's and eventually a pair of Bag End M15's.

One day, I'll score a single JBL D140F, to replace the Altec 421 8H Series II, that's installed in my Ampeg B-15N(C).

Ric

4. Let me know when you do. If I am in the position I'll buy the Altec from you ;).

5. Yeah, the Altec is rich, sensitive and articulate.