Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beta 8's vs alpha 8's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i am surprised at how many 8's cabs i am reading of lately. seems there are lots out there.

i am curisou as to the differences between teh eminence beta 8 and the alpha 8.

i know the beta has a higher wattage rating and is 20% more expensive, but other than that, is there a significant bottom end difference? both are pretty much 75+ hz f3 speakers, arent they?>

also, is there a notable difference in TONE between the 2?

thank you in advance.

2. Lemon

Lemon

May 9, 2005

well it might sound weird but the Alpha goes quite a bit lower.

BUT !

it also can not take as much beating as the betas and Im even surprised that the beta doesent poop out quicker.
    plus since it goes lower, it will poop out even sooner.

the xmax isnt so incredible long on of both of these units.
    smaller Membrane = need for more Xmax for the same bang as a 12
    2 * 8" = same cone area as a 12 but faster.

3. FiveG

FiveG

Mar 1, 2013
    Vermont
    Like Lemon said, the alpha's have a little lower range than the beta's. 58 hz as opposed to 75hz. I think those are the numbers anyway. But those numbers can be manipulated with porting and cabinet design. The big difference is the alpha's are made for bass guitar where the beta's are made for use in a PA speaker. I have tried both in my SWR baby blue ll and prefer the alpha's. The alpha's have a resonant frequency of 47 hz. A lot lower than the beta's. Might be why they sound better in a ported cab. In the end it's all about what sounds best to your ears. I'm sure there are people out there who like the beta's better in a bass cab scenario. It's tough, there aren't that many 8 inch bass drivers out there to choose from.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Are the LDS long throws still available? They go low take lots of abuse and handle at least 160w each. They sound perfect.

5. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Ten years later...
    I was looking at 8s recently for a mid driver. While I considered both the Alpha and Beta Emienceces, I decided on the JBL/Selenium 8MB4P in a sealed cab.

6. FiveG

FiveG

Mar 1, 2013
    Vermont
    The Seleniums were highly recommended to me by my tube guru friend. Great quality build. I shied away because the frequency response wasn't as low as I wanted. How do you like them? Can you do a mini review? Love to hear your take.

7. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Nothing yet. I just finished building the cab two days ago. I plan to try it for the first time tomorrow.
    Since I am using it as a mid driver (crossed over > 200 Hz), the low end frequency response was not a consideration.

8. FiveG

FiveG

Mar 1, 2013
    Vermont
    Understood. The Selenium should make an excellent mid driver.

9. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal
    The Alpha Qts is 0.59, the Beta Qts is 0.38. That's why the Alpha works better sealed and the Beta works better ported. The Alpha Fs is 73 hz, the Beta Fs is 65 hz, I don't know where you saw otherwise.

10. FiveG

FiveG

Mar 1, 2013
    Vermont
    Yeah, you are right. I have looked at so many specs in the last few days I am very confused. Thanks for catching that. I still think the alpha sounds deeper than the beta in the same application. Don't know why, maybe it's just my ears.

11. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I tried it out today, and it sounds great with my crossover set at 800.
    For the heck of it, I tried playing it at full range. It still works, but the lows aren't there.

12. FiveG

FiveG

Mar 1, 2013
    Vermont
    Thanks for getting back with that. Good to know. Kind of what I expected after reading the specs.