1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beth Hart bassist using Vintage 'brand' basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leroy diamond, Jan 21, 2021.

1. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    Watched Beth Hart live at the Olympia, Paris on arte.tv last night and noticed that the two electric basses used by Tom Lilly were Vintage (brand). It is a great show and the 3 piece band are really cooking. Hart is an amazing performer and well worth a watch. I was intrigued that Lilly was using Vintage, considering they are cheap as chips and sounded great.

No doubt Lilly could opt for Fender or indeed many of the 'boutique' basses out there, but chose Vintage. Indeed the guitarist who used primarily Fender and Gibson throughout the show, played a Vintage tele during the encore. Am I missing something?

Vintage Basses - Vintage - Brands

2. canuckshort

canuckshort Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Just took a look. Very intriguing.

jamro217 and leroy diamond like this.
  3. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    For sure. Thought it might be a
    For sure. Thought it might be a sponsorship deal with Lilly but if so, google should reveal something but no. I mean these basses cost £350. They must be of a standard that give the big boys a run for their money.

canuckshort likes this.
  4. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    leroy diamond likes this.
  5. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Or are well set up with aftermarket pickups like what many pros use that don't take expensive guitars to clubs.
    Think Squier, Sire, etc.
    The UK does not build high end basses for 350.
    BTW, Beth Heart with Jeff Beck live is awesome. She looks like she might kick your a$$ if you pissed her off!
    She's wearing a bright red dress in the videos I've seen.

Garret Graves likes this.
  6. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    tindrum and BackToTheGroove like this.
  7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Thaddeus Tribbett also plays a Vintage brand bass. He is one of the best gospel players . One of the few that plays a 4 string. He plays the Vintage jazz with black blocks . Sounds great.

8. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    Yes I get that hardware and electronics can be swapped out, a relatively straight forward procedure, that many players can take on with some basic knowledge. However a great instrument is also about other attributes such as fit, finish, balance, fretwork and so on. It is incredible that the cheap brigade are mixing it with the big boys
    I recently played a similarly priced Sire and could not put it down. It sounded ace and ticked all the right boxes, right out of the Box. Incredible value and a superb bass period. My go to Sadowsky NYC did not feel quite as special after that.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I thought you meant Modern Vintage brand. The one I played was superb:

10. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I like that gig bag.

sears likes this.
  11. Wow, thanks for the link OP. I have always enjoyed Beth Hart's music.

That Vintage v80 Reissued Bass from the link looks mighty intriguing! And only about $370 USD ?!!? :woot:

boombloom likes this.
  12. The unswer May be very simple. Vintage used to have a very strong marketing, especially in Poland. There even was a band called Vintage that played Vintage guitar and basses. Obviously they were not just a fans of the brand ;)

Peter Torning likes this.
  13. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    A shop near by sells them,they are ok,like SX or squier affinity.
    Some I played had horrible fretwork and were heavy but they sound fine.

Still I could never understand why would a pro play such a cheap bass.
    Even if one can make it work well why not use something a bit better.

14. I have four, VJ74 icon, VJ74 reissued, V4 reissued and a V4 Tony Butler. These basses are for real. Built like a tank, pretty good Wilkinson hardware and pickups. Necks that don't move, good fret work and finish. And they sound like the real thing too. Only thing is they need a little TLC out of the box, like shielding, a proper setup, maybe a small shim, brand strings. But hey, that goes for top of the line Fenders too, and you get a Vintage for half the cost of a Mex Fender. One thing: if you love slim necks these basses are not for you.

Rocker949 and BackToTheGroove like this.
  15. This is my V4 Tony Butler (without his autograph on the headstock but who cares). One piece maple neck. As P as it gets.

upload_2021-1-22_9-52-54.png

16. petergales

petergales

Dec 29, 2009
    Leeds UK
    The Vintage brand guitars are very underrated. I know a few guys that have their Strats and they sound great. I haven't tried one of their basses but - if their guitars are anything to go by - they should be excellent value for money.

Rocker949 and BackToTheGroove like this.
  17. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Both times I saw Beth Hart in 2018 he was playing sunburst P Bass

nixdad likes this.
  18. Hmmm, my experience with Vintage (and I've owned a few) was that they were all pretty solid decent instruments, with the occasional minor cosmetic blemish (I had a fantastic Jazz bass from them, but the finish was not great, with a couple of tiny bubbles at the bottom on the edge of the body, and I often found little things like that in other instruments, always very minor though).

Cheap? Yes. But I would put them on the 'decent' category, definitely quite a few notches above Affinity Squiers.

BackToTheGroove likes this.
  19. I dare to say that a Vintage bass (or guitar, most likely) does not offer much less than a Mexican Fender. Build quality, fit and finish or sound.

mcnach likes this.
  20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    379 pounds = $529 USD. The Chinese can...and will...build anything to a specified price point. Heck, depending on the source, they'll even slip a counterfeit decal and hijacked S/N on the headstock.

As I understand things, stuff is really expensive in the UK so I'd imagine a budget-conscious line would be very attractive. I'd also imagine that the distributor may have had a financial stake or sponsorship for the show.

Riis

Jim C and BackToTheGroove like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021