Betlehem PA, Musikfest, Last chance, ZuluFunk is callin' it quits!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Aug 2, 2002.

Poll closed Aug 5, 2002.
  1. Sure thing!!! I'll see you there.

1 vote(s)
  2. Love ta - but can't.

2 vote(s)
  3. Mebee, mebee not.

1 vote(s)
  4. Only if you're buyin'

0 vote(s)
  1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Yeah, what the heck...
    This is it for my band, Irma's Quest.
    One last show and it's a biggie.
    Musikfest is the largest musical festival in the US (they say). It's got 10 days, like 12 stages, music just about around the clock, food and beer, a great time.

There are biggish acts like Kansas, Blue Oyster Cult, Lifehouse, Hootie, Live, The Guess Who, Johnny Lang, Dishwalla, Michael Bolton, Shawn Colvin, and Irma's Quest.

Actually, we were chosen to do a sweet 1-hr slot by a local radio station. The stage is great. It's going to be a super time.

Since we got the gig, our intra-band troubles boiled over. We've been in the studio since December and we're still not done with what was planned to be a six song demo-plus (yeah, that'll do it to any band). Thing is, our singer owns the studio and all this stems from his draggin' his feet, then my complaining, then his over charging and refusing to do bar gigs so we can pay for studio time...etc. He and I got into it when the rest of the band wasn't around and they all pretty much blame me. Whatever.

We got burned out and the singular focus of the band split into individual directions before this came to a head anyway.

Back to the point...If'n you're in the area (NorthEast PA, Lehigh Valley), please come on down. It's Monday the 5th at 7:30pm and it's FREE.
    Outdoor, open to all ages, and right next to the beer tent.

Also, since it's probably the last time I ever play in front of anyone again, I'm slipping some serious solo stuff into the set. I'm planning to go off!!! They may have to pull the plug on me!!!

Musikfest is in Bethlehem PA, we are playing at the Plaza Tropical stage. You can get more details at the link in my signature below.

I feel legitimate doing this here because the gig doesn't pay a dime.
    If you can make it, please say hi. I'm going to hang out after anyway. I love Musikfest.

If you can't make it, and you are from around here, we'll probably be on Service Electric Cable live. If you get it...tape it for me. I get RCN so I can't.

Maybe I'll get another band one day, maybe not. I'm keeping my gear though.
  2. I guess all things change, but that has got to be a real pain when one band member basically gets to dictate how things happen.

I wish I could get there to see you live but real life intrudes. Hope the solos go well, maybe you'll pick up another band while you're there. :)
  3. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    With a name like "Musikfest", it must be BIG.

Sorry, dude, can't make it due to my thousands of miles from you.
  4. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    This is the only problem:
    Scattered Strong Storms
    Wind:From the West Southwest at 9 mph
    Precip: 40 % Max. Humidity: 63 %

Scattered Strong Storms
    Wind:From the Northwest at 6 mph
    Precip: 40 % Max. Humidity: 71 %

Lord I hope it doesn't storm too badly.
  5. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    This is the only problem:
    6pm[​IMG] 9pm[​IMG]

Lord I hope it doesn't storm too badly.
    This is totally it for the band.
  6. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey...I'm right down here in Ebensburgh, so I may see you there...if I can, I'll catch up with ya right said your slot it at 7:30p.m. right? heh, I'll probably be showin' up around 7:00...if I see ya, I see ya, if I don't, I don't. I'll try to get there though! Later...
  7. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    The show went OK. We started a bit late due to rain. That a,lso caused us to have to rush things.
    I had to abort my blazing solo. Oh well.

I had fun with the band, even though most of the time lately I dreaded getting together with them.

It's over now. Learned a lot...

I may continue to do studio stuff and back up solo acts when needed. I'm probably out of the band scene for good. I'd do the church thing, but I'm catholic and we're not really known for slammin' bass lines in our hymns.

Other than that, maybe some music courses and seminars just to keep me in the groove.