better amp for a warwick thumb??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Oct 25, 2002.

1. hello,

i have a gallien-krueger 1001rb bass head that i am using to amplify my warwick 5 string thumb bass and it is wayyy too loud for the band i am in.. i hardly go past the 2nd line on the volume knob. i was wondering, wha is a really nice bass head that isn't quie as loud? i am thinking about going for a not very lound power amp and going with an ampeg svp-pro... any other suggestions?

2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, you're lucky then. It's far better to have too much power than not enough or just enough. You never know when that kind of thing (extra power) might come in handy. I would keep the head, and just be thankfull you don't have to keep trying to get louder.
  3. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    GK is known for being pristinely clean whilst ampeg is better known for warmth and grit.

I'm not saying that you won't like the SVP-Pro, but if you like the sound of your GK head, the Svp will not likely sound like your current head does.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I definitely second Brendan. Remember that you probably won't always be with the band you're in now, so keep it just in case, and just leave your volume at 2 for now.
  5. zoran

May 10, 2002
    trace elliot is perfect match for warwick bass, and it's not too loud.
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Why not just turn it down to the first line on your volume knob. I love this technical jargon. :D
  7. thank you guys for helping me out... heh musicians friend has the svp-pro listed under guitar preamps... heh ae they not good at organization.. or am i missing something? and what does the eden preamp soud like??