1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Better bass guitar = better sound on a budget amp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metallion1996, Apr 22, 2015.

1. metallion1996

metallion1996

Apr 22, 2015
    I am a beginner and I have bought a gear4music bass guitar and amplifier. I know those bass guitars are not good. I am currently studying in the UK and I want to buy a bass for back home because I'm going back for summer holidays and also want to have for all the holidays (christmas, easter). The only thing I am taking back is my amplifier which is this one and I am going to buy this bass guitar. So my newbie question is, will I understand the difference in the sound on that amplifier, I mean will the quality of the sound increase with the new bass guitar?
    Thanks, Leo.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Hard to say whether you'll notice a change in the sound or not with that amp. You probably will notice a difference in sound if the new bass has a different type or number of pickups than the old, but if they're both basically J basses, maybe not so much.

metallion1996 likes this.
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe. It's still a budget bass, though at least name-brand. You may hear a difference. A lot will depend on just how cheap your generic bass is (by which I mean construction and components, not price). It may well be worth the upgrade in bass just to have something that's better constructed, that holds a setup and tuning better and is more comfortable to play, apart from any difference in sound.

Dr. Cheese, metallion1996 and bholder like this.
  4. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I'd bet you would notice a good bit of difference with a good bass guitar as apposed to a not so good one.

I have a knock-around bass that I have setup with a small "practice" rig in my living room so I can reach over off the couch and play any time I want. When I bring my American Stnd upstairs and plug in to that same practice rig, it sounds a lot better.

5. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    A better amp will likely make the biggest difference in how your bass sounds. Having plenty of power on tap, more cone area, and higher quality drivers/box will make a huge difference in sound. But a better bass ought to make the entire playing experience more pleasant. A better quality neck, better electronics, and tuning stability will make more of a difference to how you play than you might think. If you can even consider saving up the extra money I strongly suggest you look at the Ibanez SR300 instead of the Gio series. They aren't much more expensive but are much higher quality instruments. I got both of mine used for around $150 and after a $60 setup by a professional tech they play very nicely and serve me quite well.

6. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Amplifier first unless your current bass has functional problems like "can't be setup" or the "fret ends shred my fingers."
    Nothing is going to sound good through that cabinet IMO.

7. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

don't buy that amp! 15w is not loud enough. period,no ifs or buts

8. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah, "what's the best investment for improved sound" would definitely be the amp, though OP specifically held the "amp factor" constant and asked about the bass, which is of course hard to say through that amp. I agree, best investment for sound is a better amp. Even a good headphone amp and a set of cans would be a huge improvement over that. (No offense meant, OP, but that's not much of an amp you've got there.)

mbelue likes this.
  9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    The amp is 1000 times more important.
    I have played the same venue with both my SX Jazz or my 73 Fender Jazz; both were great through a great amp
    Many cheap (crap) amps will never sound good no matter what the bass.
    A used Peavy with 100 watts and a 15" speaker for $125 for the win; save up your cash; an amp like this is also very sellable should you choose to move up.

10. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    You might want to try a preamp pedal, or multi-effects that you can get used to. Like the Sansamp stuff. If you have a local store, try some stuff out.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I think he's only talking about bedroom practice, not playing in a group. If I'm mistaken about that, you're right.

12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    It has been said... correctly.
    Better bass = better feel.
    Better amp = better SOUND.

13. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I think in this case, if I read the OP correctly, it is too late..

14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah, I read it as "already bought, bringing with". Knowing nothing about that amp specifically, it's just hard to believe it's capable of much of a decent bass sound at all, even for practice - enough to hear yourself to practice, sure, that's all that end of the market is meant for, not going to find many "tone monsters" in that range. (And to be clear, it's just as much the speaker and cab size that bug me, not just the amp specs.)

SteveCS likes this.
  15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I agree that the amp is not going to cut it even in a practice setting. Whatever bass you plug in there is going to sound like it's coming from a can. 30w-50w would be far more ideal. I suggest buying used so your money can buy more wattage.
    Now the bass, well - I'm not familiar with that brand but I imagine it would sound better on a bigger amp. Perhaps sell that 15w amp and put the funds towards a better amp. Or you can use the 15w amp as a nifty doorstop.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    That bass will sound fine through a decent amp. The amp you linked to will not sound good, no matter what is being played through it. An amp like that will never inspire you to play.

Chuck King likes this.
  17. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    the amp is the actual instrument and deserves more respect then the plank. i do declare!:cool:

mbelue likes this.
  18. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    Great bass + crappy amp = crappy tone
    crappy bass + svt 3/markbass/GK800 = great tone.

plug an absolute bottom of the line SX/squire into a svt pro or eden 500 and it will sound killer.

19. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    I think you will hear a difference because the 2 basses have different types of pickups (assuming your other bass is the p style starter kit on gear4music), but I don't think one will necessarily sound amazing compared to the other, they are both budget instruments running through a budget amp. If you're just wanting a second bass in order to have one for school and one for home, then I see no problem in picking up the Ibanez, though it isn't a tremendous step up from your other bass. If you're searching for better sound, then yeah you need a better amp to start with, cheap bass+good amp>good bass+cheap amp.

20. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    The amp is more important than the bass. A killer amp makes any bass sound awesome. Play a $10k bass through a crap amp and it will sound like crap.

Buzz E, SanDiegoHarry and SamJ like this.