Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Better bass or better amp???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lawnpatio, Jan 17, 2001.

1. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    Hey everyone, I need your advice on this. I don't know whether to buy a new bass (it would be the the Carvin LB-70) or build an extension cab (I have a Hartke 4x10 cab, but I would build a cab with one JBL E140-8 15'' speaker. For those of you who aren't familiar with that speaker its one of the best you can get...4 inch voice coil, 18.5 lbs magnet!, an spl at 100 db 1W/im)

So buy a new bass (I'm using a Washburn XB-100 with active EMG pickups)??? or build another cab (I need something that hits lower, and that JBL WILL do the trick)

HELP please!! I want both but can only afford one. Any comments or suggestions are very welcomed!

Lawnpatio

2. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    go for the speakers.....the carvin will be waiting for you when youre ready

3. The JBL underneath the Hartke sounds like the way to go IMO.

4. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Go for a new bass.

You play bass.
    You don't play amp.

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Well lets see, In my Opinion.. this all depends on what you CURRENTLY OWN.. don't you think? :) Depends on if your playing shows etc.. too. You could have a crappy bass right now and if u have a crappy bass, and an OKAY Amp, I would go for the Carvin. But if u have a decent bass and a horrible amp, go for the amp because even if u get the carvin, u might not notice the differences from the crappy amp lol ^^; SO i guess it depends on what you currently own at the moment

DM

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Go for the cabinet.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As I mentioned in another thread, I'd rather play a Rogue through an Eden/SWR than an Alembic Series II through the drive-thru speaker at Burger King. The principle applies here too.

Basses are constantly being improved and new models spring up all the time. Amps are much more static. You'll have less chance of a significant amp change coming out than a bass change. For instance, I got a new Carvin LB75 and amp delivered in Dec. This month, they come out with the addition of the piezo pickup option. The changes they made to the amp were minor, (one they made might even be a negative change). You probably won't kick yourself for investing in your amplification.

8. I'd go for the best bass I could get. You can sometimes play through someone else's amp (or rent one for a gig), but that bass will allow you to develop as a player.

My bass sounds good on most amps ... I haven't tried it with a Burger King speaker, and I won't (although it would do better than the kid squawking to get my order).

Later.

9. Well normally I would say that you should get a new bass, but your current bass isnt that bad... so maybe the amp will be the wise choice... but thats only my opinion

10. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    Well my bass did sound bad before, but when I put in those active EMGs it made it sound SO much better. So thats one reason why I would get an extension cab instead...

11. My choice of anything here in Hong Kong is extremely limited, and if there's ever anything I want, it's always a new bass. Of course, I don't bother going into the amp section because I already have the best practice-sized amp available in Hong Kong. Anything bigger would be a full cab, and I could just imagine the horror on my grandmother's face if a massive, odd looking thing were to appear at the front door of the house.
    SHe would be even more horrified to find the amount of volume that would be coming from it at all hours of the day.
    Therefore, my current opinion on this type of question is always biased to "new bass". :D

Besides, of course, the fact that I'll be off in college in a couple years, most likely overseas, so then all it would be doing is gathering dust in the house. Well, that and wasting space. :D

12. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Hi lp

I'd suggest going for the cab. You've made an improvement to your bass, now you should hear it through an improved amp. Or if you can swing a loan or demo of the Carvin, try it through your amp and a/b it with your Washburn. That might be an eye-opener for you; the Washburn with EMGs might just blow it away but no one will know unless you try it through your rig. If you get the 15, you're amp will be improved for whatever bass you end up getting in the future. I still say go for the cabinet. You're probably going to get a lot more sound and rig going with that than swapping axes. You'll be able to play bigger places louder.