Better bassist;Prince or Lenny Kravitz?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassist15, Mar 12, 2006.

1. bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    I know this is a matter of opinion but both of these guys can play mutiple instruments but who do you think is the better bassist. Ive only heard Lenny so i really dont know. I've been listening to Baptism by Kravitz and he has some very nice bass lines. CAn anyone recommend me some Prince cds that show his real funky side , with funky bass and all? Also the same for Mr. Kravtiz cause all I have is Baptism.
  2. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    while we are on the topic , let's toss George Michael into the mix.

Some very tastey bass lines on his OLDER (non wham thank you) era stuff.
  3. Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I own everything that Lenny has released and love his sound and vibe. Prince may be a more well rounded musician... but I don't listen to the disc or 2 of his I own that often (hardly ever actually)
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really like both guys. They are really apples and oranges. Lenny Kravitz is very into a classic rock sort of vibe. I remember how much he sounded like McCartney on "Let Love Rule." I also remember cool stuff on his "Mamma Said" album and that the bass line to "Kalifornia" on his current CD.

Prince is a funk monster straight out of the Larry Graham school. Check out "Head" from "Dirty Mind" or "Do Me Baby," "Lady Cab Driver," or "Let's Work." All of that stuff is super funky with great thumped/slapped basslines.

I say it's a draw. Both can really nail their influences, but their music is too different for direct comparison.
  6. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Prince, is a mind blowing musician. I have seen him live and his bass playing is very Larry Graham, funky and solid. As an over all musician he is a better guitar player but great as both. I don't want to say one is better then the other but I like Prince's playing more.
  7. bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    What cds by Prince have alot of his funky lines?

8. Hehehe, George Micheal . . . toss . . . hehehehe :smug:

Why Price? "Morris Day and the Time" all the way! :ninja:
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Prince is years ahead of Lenny in terms of bass playing skills! Probably all instruments for that matter! Both do a great job of creating and recording their music by themselves! Lenny was heavily influenced by Prince in his early days and even tried to copy the look and sound until he came into his own! Remember Romeo Blue?

10. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Prince gets it by a hair.
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Prince. That said, I prefer Lenny's (earlier) music. He seems to be trying for the "sensitive rocker" thing. If we are going by hair, cutting off his dreads = selling out. :D The Metallica theory.
  12. mcbc

Oct 31, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    +1 Prince. look for princes "black album" he plays mostly bass on this album.
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  14. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    prince and Morris day played most of the instruments on the time's records
  15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    They both took past genres of music and built on them with their own unique voices. That said.......Prince can throw down!!!:bassist:
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Morris Day?
    I was not a huge fan of The Time; I just assumed Day was the frontman/hipster-doofus while Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, & Jesse Johnson did the music.

Best version of "The Bird" I ever heard was from a local '80s Top-40 band called The Squares(Oteil on bass)...made me run out & buy Ice Cream Castles ASAP.
    The Time's version was a let-down.
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I believe Morris Day was a drummer originally but had so much charisma and lead singer qualities he was picked by default(see Stokely/Mint Condition)! If I'm not mistaken, Alexander O'Neal was the first choice/auditioned for that spot.
  18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's another topic, but Mint Condition are great!!! I think they are one of the most overlooked R&B bands out there! Man, can they play!

sorry for the hi-jack.
  19. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Sandberg Guitars
    "For You", "Prince", "Dirty Mind", "Minneapolis Geniuses",

For the most part, Prince writes most of his hits sans bassline! He pretty much uses the bass as accent. This was very common when he was more into his synth-rock days. I saw a rare interview with him where he states that the bassline is usually the last piece to his musical puzzle. He continues to state that he had been encumbured in his earlier writing by allowing the bassline/drummer dominate the direction of a song. In alot of his tunes you can hear that the bassline is very transparent, implied, or non-existant.

Most of the bass players that have played for him have echoed the amount of talent he has as a bass player. When he does record with a bass, he shows the bass player EXACTLY what to play. Or so I've heard...