Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Better cab for small club gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassotus, Dec 3, 2002.

1. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    Hi all,

after browsing this forum for some time I'm still lost with all the different recommendations for amp/cab combination.

I've been playing gigs for several years now with a Trace Elliot AH300 (which I've always liked) through a beat-up Marshall 4x12 bass cab. This setup has been enough for most small gigs like weddings etc. since at most bigger clubs I've always used the house PA anyway. Last friday I found myself in a situation where we were playing a RHCP cover show at this small club where the PA system was used only for the drums and vocals (only a couple of the channels worked), so I had to really crank up the volume to balance levels with the guitar. I've never had to play that loud through the Marshall and it sounded *really* bad, bottom end was just this distorted boom without any definition.
    Now this is not a common situation, but since I've always considered the old Marshall as somewhat "lazy" sounding, I'm now looking for something with more sensitivity and good low end definition and punch even at higher volumes (aren't we all..)

I've got a little over $1000 to spend on it, so I'm now looking at 4x10's by EBS, Warwick (both of which I've tried at the shop), Hughes&Kettner, TE (which I would have to order blind from Germany) and perhaps even Peavey.. Eden and BagEnd are not as easily available to me.
    The problem is that I'll never be able to test the cab in a situation like described above; playing at high volume in a store doesn't quite give the right picture..

How much difference does the power handling limit of the cab make here? I mean would a 600W cab be less prone to flopping the lows than a 320W cabinet, driven with the 300W TE ?

I'd greatly appreciate any help or recommendations from anyone who's been in this situation. I know this has been discussed here before but the answers are spread over a hundred different threads :( ..

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    For that price range you could also order Glockenklang Quattro from Germany. I guess it's ~1100eur in most web stores (+~50eur for shipping). It is a tight sounding cab with good definition in lower registers.

I guess a cab with higher power handling is generally less prone to flopping, but it also depends on how the cab is tuned.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, ratings do tell partially the story, but its also just the overall make of the cab. your Marshall cab is a bit beatup, and Marshall arent really known as bass cab guys.

any number of bass cab makers can do great low end in whatever packaging.

you say you usually do small gigs? well, how about a nice pair of 1x12's. i've tried a pair of Aguilar 1x12's, and it easily filled up the room like the 4x10 i compared it to. not quite as punchie, yet still nice and also seemed to have a fuller lower end. and if you're doing REALLY small gigs, then you can just take one of the 1x12's with you. very portable since each 1x12 probably weighs only 40 lbs. or so.

but any 4x10 from EBS, Ampeg, Ashdown, Hevos, Glockenklang, Aguilar, Epifani, Acme, Bergantino, etc. would be awesome. but, they will also be much heavier. some are close to 98 lbs.!

but for your reference, remember that 10 inch speakers are the punchiest and tightest of all the bass speakers. but they lack a cushy low end feel. 15 inch speakers offer that big low end feel, but at the expense of definiteion that 10 inch speakers give you. 12 inch speakers are kinda in between the two. the more speakers and speaker area you have, the more natural low end you'll get.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    hey joker my man

have you tried any of the porta bass stuff? what did you think?

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    eh,

didnt really float my boat. kinda harsh and cardboardy. light as a feather tho!

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    was that the 10's or 12's? just wonderin. also how does the acme do with say 500 watts?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, i tried both, and they just didnt go over with me. then again, i was using the Portabass head, so that might have something to do with it. just wasnt satisfied vs. my Bergie cabs.

oh and the Acme will perfectly fine with 500 watts.

8. phairphunk

phairphunk

Jun 19, 2000
    Or maybe a 1x15 and a 2x10?

9. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    hmm.. I've never really considered the Glockenklangs (AFAIK I've never heard or even seen one..), but the specs look good and they are still cheaper then GK, Eden or Ampeg with similar specs, not to mention lighter.

I actually dont mind lugging a 4x10" even to the smaller gigs (hey, I've been hauling the 4x12" Marshall everywhere for the last six years..), and for cost reasons I'd rather get a single *good* big cabinet than a combination of good 2x10" + 15" or similar. I guess I'll get a 4x10" first and add a single 15" if ever needed ... dunno.

now if only those german dealers would answer my emails..

10. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I' ve orderded my bass art preamp direct from Glockenklang, I supose it can be done with cabs to.

11. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I've had good experiences with Musik-Produktiv. Mail e-bass@musik-produktiv.de

IME you shouldn't get a separate cab for small gigs, it won't get much use. I have a Warwick W-CL 12" combo for "small gigs"... who am I kidding? I always take the Glock with me anywhere I go :)

ps. my rig is in Tampere, so if you REALLY want to try before buying...

12. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    ...just about to order the Glockenklang, but now I must decide on the impedance; I guess it's more probable that I'll ghange the TE head than get a secong cabinet (and if I ever get a second, smaller cab I'm likely to use it by itself anyway), so I could just get the 4ohm Quattro to get the most juice out of the Trace Elliot; BUT since I'm really after a clean and loud low end, I'd like to know whether running the head at it's minimum of 4ohm's will increase the propability of distortion/blowing a fuse etc?

The correct answer will cause me to invest over 1100€ without further ado, so think twice ;) ...

13. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    don't mix trace with glockenklang . If you use one cab it's better to have 8ohm . Better durability.:)

14. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    aaargh :( ...

..just to elaborate further; You say mixing TE with the Glockenklang is bad because of the sound or because of the power/impedance ratings?
    Do you mean better durability for the cab or the head?

I would very much like to keep the TE since I don't have the money for a new cab AND a new head..

15. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    It's like you have Ferrari with Fiat punto motor inside. Everything else, impedance, power is ok, but...:D

16. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    Yeah okay, I see your point.

I'll propably get a new head sometime next year (tested a Fafner a couple of months ago, oh so sweet), but for now I just want to change to weakest part of the whole setup, that being the current cabinet. I'm just trying to decide on the impedance value so that I won't come to regret it later...?

17. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    That comparison is totally irrelevant. I've never been a TE fan, but they are fine amps and I'm sure it will sound great with the Glock.

I say get the 4 ohm model. Together with the Trace that will make a quite capable rig. If you ever want to add a second cab you'll then need an amp that can handle 2 ohms (eg. Fafner) or one with dual power amp (or a discrete power amp). And since you already seem to like the Fafner...

The Glock only has Speakon inputs so if you go for it remember to buy a plug-speakon cable too...

18. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    OK , comparison is too plastic.My apologize. I've played through both amps (glockenklang and trace elliot), and diference is quite noticeable, especially when we talked about ah300 head, and which is not as good as smx heads (mine was without compressor, sorry). As I said in past threads , trace ah300 head is great amp, but not as glock, for sure.

19. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    jeez, guys..

My TE head actually is the one with the GP12SMX pre-amp stage and a two band compressor, not really sure its the AH300 or whatnot, I don't remember the model. But I was trying to determine whether using it with a single 4ohm cab would more easily bring up problems with distortion/amp heating etc. and whether I'd actually benefit anything (aside from getting a bit more volume) by selecting the 4ohm Quattro? The TE has been plenty loud with the 8ohm Marshall, and the 8ohm Quattro should be louder still - I'm not likely to need more volume in the foreseeable future, just better definition. Now if I've understood all this correctly, running the TE with a single 8ohm cab would be easier on both the head and the cab (right?), so I'll probably get the 8ohm...

The bottom line is still that a cabinet of Glockenklang's alledged quality is wasted on a player like myself, but I just want to avoid at least some of the buying-trying-switching loop ...

Thanks!

20. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It will be better to buy the 4 ohm version as you wont clip your amp as easy (more power@4ohms).
    The more power the better especially with a cab like Glockenklang. The Trace will have no problem running at a 4 ohm load.
    And if you go with the Fafner later it does not deliver that many watts at 8ohms.
    Just my thought.