Better for slap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Apr 21, 2001.

1. I play slap bass in a hard rock band (similiar to older incubus) which also plays some ska and funk and punk and everything you can think of.
    I use a Cort five string fretless and an old
    Ampeg big stud 4 string fretted (my baby)
    I want a new good slap bass (either 4 or 5 but fretted this time) and am debating over Warwick (probably thumb bass) or an Ernie Ball Stingray.
    The sting ray would probably be alot cheaper but I'm not sure which would be better for my style
    Any suggestions?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Get the 'Ray. You can't go wrong with a Music Man.

Will C.:cool:
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 'Ray is not really much cheaper than the thumb bolt on.

If it were me, I would buy the 'Ray, because I don't like the chunkiness of the Warwick neck, or the tone.

But play them both, and everything else that you can in that price range. What I like may not be what you like.

Good luck.:)
  4. Yeah, get the "Ray". Because it's my name[​IMG] and it's the better bass for slap.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Well, I can. Despite all the good words on Music Man basses, I can't find the thrill with them. Especially not when they cost as much as they do around here (about $600 more than in the US). But get it anyway, INGL - probably you'll be one of the 95% of all bass players who love Musicmen. And the Stingray is very, um, slappable.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    can we officially add that to the list of Bass terminology? :)
  7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have played MM Stingray and it was great! I guess I´d go with the Stingray..
    <marquee>WOW!!This is moving!!!!:D</marquee>
  8. Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Stingrays are rad, but judging by your name you're a Geddy Lee fan. He uses a Jazz bass which are also good for slap...

Just an idea, Cheers
  9. Jazz basses are alright for slap, but the EB's have a more slap happy setup.
  10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    This post is in theory, so don't hold me to anything...

IMHO I think you *might* like a Fender Jazz Deluxe (MIM) best. I saw someone point out the Geddy Lee thing, and I'm assuming Active pups would be better to work with then passive for slap. (It's what I've found)

Although, the MM is active, you might like the *smoother* sound of the jazz... Try both out.
  11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why not just get a Fender Geddy Lee sig then, C-eye?

Anyhow, Stingray. Of course...graphite cuts better...:)
  12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I've only played a handfull of MM's and Warwicks when I was looking for another bass. In my opinion the Ray's are great basses for slap & pop, Better than the Warwicks. I think they are alot easier to play than Warwicks as well, as the necks are'nt as fat as bulky. I also think they have a nicer tone than the Warwicks do. Dont limit your quest to just the 2 bases though, you should try every brand possible before actually making your purchase. You may find that you like a Spector or a Fender, more comfortable and even sounding more like what you are looking for. This as usual is just my humble opinion. Get what plays best and sounds best to you.
  13. madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    My Aria Pro II Avante AVB-TN5 isn't bad for slapping. But if you want a REAL good slapping time go get a four string. But i love five string.
  14. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Rays are slap basses. But they struggle with other styles, compared to just about any bass with a J-J or J-P setup.

Check out a Warwick Proline Corvette 4 (or 5) and play it side to side with a Ray (like at Guitar Center... I've done it before because I work there). You just may find that the Wick is a bit tastier. Then throw a Fender Am Dlx Jazz into the mix. You may find this out:

Warwick: Very versatile, requires little attention and plays great with weather changes and heavy playing. Huge neck though.

Stingray: Great slapper, but always sounds a bit like it's being slapped. Takes abuse well.

Fender: Great sound, feel, price, look, style. Unfortunately, you'll have to adjust the neck if a slight breeze blows through.

And BTW, don't tell anyone that I told you this, but the Fender and MM are marked up much more than the Warwick, so if you grill the salesman, they'll flex more on those.
    My opinion: If you have the dough, get the Warwick if it feels good to you. In the long run, you'll be happier.
  15. thanx guys. I would rather go with the warwick but im thinking the ernie ball might be a little more in my price range. I am going check around for used stuf and see what I can find. I like the feel of the ernie ball ALOT but i still likw (depending on what model i play) the tone a bit better for the warwick. I also LOVE the look on all the Warwicks better than anything but look doesnt make a good bass.
    Also, no offense to anyone here but I am very bias againt fender. I just hate the feel and think they sound like most basses ive played that were much much cheaper. I don't know why, maybe its just me.
  16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Agreed, Fender feels like many of the basses you've played, and probably sounds similar too. But the thing that sets them apart is that Fenders are the originals. There wouldn't be j-basses if fender never made a j-bass. Just like there wouldn't be a jay turser stingray copy if there never was a stingray. I'm not really replying to flame you or anything, just tell you why people like Fenders so much.
  17. this is the view of a guy that traded his stingray for a thumb.

first of all i got the thumb bolt on because the stingray is a bolt on. it seems that i have to play the thumb more agressive than the stingray to get a real bright sound. but this is what i like about the thumb. the stingray was to bright for me. both are real nice basses, the thumb has neck dive the stingray doesn't so try both with a strap. the thumb neck dive has become a trademark but i really dont think about it any more, a good strap helps a lot. both have great slap tone but if you are looking for the stingray slap tone then that would be the choice to buy. everyone says that the warwick has a big neck but i found it easier to play than the stingray, again maybe because the tone didn't fit what i wanted to hear.

try them both and then put down the cash.

good luck
  18. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Ive played funk slap bass for 16 years now! I liked the ernie balls but just not for me! I used to use fenders all the time but now that i have my old custom corvette pro-line i cant even look at a fender! Well i still have my 60s fender p-bass but thats diff!