Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Better for the money?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Supernova67, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    just got my final paycheck (got fired) so i got $500 buring a whole in my pocket (well a $500 check anyway)........and i was wondering what would be better for the money a Standard fender jazz 5-string, or a Peavey grind NTB 5-String along with maybe a cheap fretless essex? Also if you have any suggestions other than the 2 i named feel free to throw em in, just keep in mind the budget and i'd like to have it be a 5-string.

thanx,
    Travis

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is it your first bass?

3. Dude! Buy like 4 SX!! Heck yes!

Actually, you should buy a SX 5 and mod it to death. Then pocket the leftover $200 :p

4. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    it's my second. right now i got a 5 string squire, but now that i got a little money i was lookin for sumthin a little better suited for what i play : red hot chilie peppers, primus, tool, rush, and the one i dont like to mention in public (dave matthews band) :bag: :bassist:

5. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    I'd say if you are looking at the fender go for it i like that bass but if you perhaps whant something a little more unique

I have the clasic version of this and i love it http://www.zzounds.com/item--WRWCVBASIC5

i never owned this but i like it i hope to be owning the elite or custom model soon http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=141/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/513048/

i am not the biggest fan but this is one of their better basses ( stay away from the sound gear models) http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBABTB405QM

all good choices but you gotta play them all in order to know what you want for sure. And what kind of a rig r u playing have you though about putting the money towards that hmmmm. much to contemplate u have, yes

6. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    RUSH RULES
    i dream of playing in a rush cover band on the side

7. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    i try to play as many basses i can get my hands on in the music stores close to me but they kinda have a limited variety (peavey, esp and sum crappy p-bass copys) and the closest guitar center is about 60mi away.(i hate living in the middle of nowhere) right now i'm runnin through a little behringer 120w combo and a digitec multi effect pedal, which is good enough seeing as right now i'm not in a band o i'm mainly a bedroom shredder (or slapper, whatever) I only really mentioned the fender and the peavey cuz i've played them before and kinda liked the sound (and i kinda dig the natural finish on the peavey)

8. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    One thing, since you got fired, maybe you want to hang on to that $500.00. Maybe for other things like rent, food ect...

9. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    dude you got fired!!!!! you otta keep teh money for extra expenses, keep teh squire and the $500 until you get another job and then buy you a new bass. and dont at least rush and the chilli pepers play 4 bangers

thats my 2 cents (from expercince)

10. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Read your profile and says your 14. In that case spend it fast :D , that grind is said to be a nice bass. How about a SUB5, GC sometimes blows them out cheap.

11. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    maybe i shoulda added i'm only 14 :D

12. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    ya geddy and flea do play 4's (a modulus and a fender if i'm not mistaken) but the kool thing a bout a five is not only can you play five string stuff that uses a low B, but you can play stuff that only uses the standard 4 :hyper:

13. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    4 suggestions, that's it? there's gotta be more decent basses than that for less than $500??!? (tho the supermoded essex dose sound kinda appealing) ;) what all would i have to do to an essex to get it to rock someones face off?

14. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i heard some good things about those laklands and they sound great too!!!!! but yea if your 14 then yes spend it fast because enjoy getting what you want until you have bills/major G.A.S. but im 17 and i only have 3 bills. internet,phone,insurance on my car. so enjpy being young!!!!

15. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i dont think you will find a better deal than that skyline

16. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    the lakeland does sound nice
    but
    r u u in a band???
    the 120 u have might be ok for now but eventually you are gonna want to be heard over the guitar with his new 412 right?
    for less than 500 bucks u can get a pretty nice rig

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBX3000T (never use but heard it was ok)
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTKVX410A (I own a straight face and love it)
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTK3000 (own it and love it)
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTKVX1508 (I just ordered it after playing it and thats the best price online and a great value too)

thats just to name a few, the possiblities are enless and you can get better use out of a rig than a new bass. The squire you have is not a bad bass either. being that you are 14 you have birthdays and stuff to ask for cash to get a new bass too.

17. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    No, sadly enough i'm not in a band right now. But when i was, we pretty much all rocked combo amps, which was appropriate considering the venues we were playing(friends partys,some school functions, and the occasonaly coffee house gig).We only ever played one show that combos werent enough, and we had PA support there. And i agree for $500 i could get a pretty nice NEW rig. But if i look hard enough i'm sure my $500 could get me an even better USED rig. :cool:

18. GoLow

GoLow

Jun 21, 2005
    Georgia
    I'd stay away from the Peavey Grind NTB. They are made in Viet Nam and the quality is not at all consistent. If you get a "good" one, it would be a rarity. I never owned or played an SX, but from all the comments in the mega threads, I don't think you could go wrong with one of them. Peavey had a Grind model, the BXP, and it was a pretty good active bass for the money. They can occasionally be found on Ebay. Good luck! And, by the way, I'm 55 and I started playing when I was 14....back in the "dark ages". I still play every weekend in a Gospel trio.

19. How about an OLP Stingray copy 5 string? Do a search and you'll find lots of info. E-mail me (ben@legg.com) and I can send you an MP3 of mine in the studio.