Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

better funk? P or J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Albino_Ryno, Oct 1, 2000.

1. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I'm getting ready to buy a new bass and I'm pretty much decided on the deluxe active series by Fender but I haven't had a chance to play a P or a J yet. The sound I'm wanting to get is good funk and good rock. I currently own an Alvarez P- bass and it gets an okay funk sound but I want a "good" funk sound. I noticed that most funk players that play fender play with a J bass (marcus miller, jaco, victor bailey). If anyone who has really played both of these basses could give me some help and possibly further describe their sound I would really appreciate it.

2. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    personal opinion...i like the J better for slapping. i like the p bass better for just about anything else. but like the J better for slapping. cant explain why though...

3. Personally, I think P's get more low end. James Jamerson played a Fender P and his lines were pretty funky. It also depends on the funk you are looking for. If you are going for a '60s funk and R&B sound, I would go with the P, if you are a slap freak, go with the J. Of course you need to try out both basses before you buy...

4. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I'm just looking for a bass that can get a good slap sound, a good finger funk sound, and a good rock sound. I know that sounds like I'm asking for alot but my current bass just isn't cutting it. I'm going to head up to the guitar shop this week and play both of them but the only problem with that is the geeky store clerk won't ever let me turn the volume and the low's up or mess with an effects pedal so I can see how each particular bass would sound when I play it at home.

5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Tell the geek that he better let you play or you'll take your business elsewhere. If he doesn't care, tell the manager. What kind of lame ass store doesn't let people jam out?

....Anyway, go with a jazz. If you like a P, get one that has both a P and a J pickup. For true funky sound, get a 70's jazz or an old music man, but if it's DLX Jazz vs DLX Precision, go with the Jazz.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I love my Fender!! I have the deluxe active Jazz myself. ITs got a great slap tone, I usually roll the pickup selector to the brige a bit when I slap and pop..gives it a slightly more trebly sound. But when I do rock I more often than not just leave it set to the center so both pickups are on and its got a nice warm fat sound with much bottom end. Even sounds good when I slap with it in that position too. This is a very versitile bass that you will be able to play any style of music on. And it can take a beating too..We recently played out and mine took a nasty fall, it fell face down when the bottom part of the guitar stand fell off...she hit the cement hard too...when i picked her back up she was still in tune and very luckily undamaged. I just know that if that was my Ibanez the neck and or headstock wouldve snapped off. SO what im saying is they sound and play very good and they are durable.

7. Or you just should try out the MusicMan Sterling or the Stingray. Great slapper, perfect fingering, ballsy rocksound too if you want to. I prefer the Sterling, since i like the slimmer neck (and the pup switch). I have tried the Tobias Growler out and that should also do the trick, and is cheaper too. On the downside is its looks.. but as far as sound is concerned most important that doesnt matter.

BTW, one must be able to try the instrument out in a shop.. I mean.. c'mon. Have you ever seen it at a car salesman? "Uh, no you cant drive it just sit in it.. dont touch anything.." ARGGHH, silly!

8. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    The funk guys you mentioned ( Jaco,Bailey, Miller) are, to me, more Jazz Bass funksters. By that I mean funky solos that benefit from the cleaner, brighter Jazz tone.
    But funk is also a rhythmic thing with a deeper bottom ie; Jamerson and Rocco Prestia.That is definitely P territory.
    If you want to do both though the J is more versatile.

9. HectorHuff

HectorHuff Guest

I own a deluxe active jazz and i'm very happy with it...it has great midrangey funky sound, for not a lot of bucks...Sringrays are great also, but you'll pay a bit more.

10. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Precision!!!!

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The Deluxe P bass also has a humbucking double J style pickup in the bridge position, which would allow you to "dial" in that brighter Jaco/Marcus funk tone, while getting a good Jamerson/Rocco thing at the same time. Another possibility if you're wanting to go with Fender would be to try out a Roscoe Beck 5, as it gets a wide range of tones, and without active electronics. I dunno if you're considering a 5, but if you are, any of the 3 would be excellent basses, IMO, for what you're trying to do. Good hunting.

12. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If it's rock and funk you're after try the Music man stingray 5. I bought mine three weeks ago and it kicks ass!

13. Usedtobejim

Usedtobejim

Jan 3, 2000
    Jazz!!!

14. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Albino_Ryno said: "I'm just looking for a bass that can get a good slap sound, a good finger funk sound, and a good rock sound."

A Stingray meets your criteria.

15. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    The jazz bass is a good slapper for Marcus Miller, but that isn't a good example as he runs it through a Sadowsky preamp. The classic fender passive sound is a good fingerstyle funk with the back pickup soloed a la Jaco.

Rocco Prestia and Jamerson are well known P bass funk players. Its more boomy but loses some clarity when compared to a J. You might want one with a PJ setup, which might hum under stage lights.

Bottom line, listen to these ppl and decide what kind of funk sound you're looking for.