Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

better get a-goin!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by kearney, Oct 2, 2004.

1. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    i just joined this band called StereoAcid and our first gig is in a month (november 2nd), and i guess i gotta learn like 20 or so songs, any encouragement for a poor ol kid like me?

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Get off Talkbass. Pick up your bass.

EDIT: Dirtbag.

3. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    why do you dislike me so?

4. Learn the songs inside out by playing them over and oer. You get bored of one, play another till you're bored of that one. Some people around here have had to learn more songs in a week or so, and all it really takes is discipline. Good luck, and try not to let it get you down.

5. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    hey man thanks, also thanks for your help with my fender jazz, i love it sooo much now that ive tweaked it just right

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I jammed with these guys, "Pissing on Susi" two tuesdays ago and Im playing with them next Wednesday.

We've practiced twice, but its no biggie.

Whats my secret?

Its a punk band. ;)

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    One time I got a call from a guitar player/singer that I had jammed with one time [maybe 6 songs tops] but know very well, and he said "Aaron what are you doing tomorrow, want a gig". I had the morning and early afternoon to "learn" 25 + songs. Also it was the first roots gig [old blues, folk, cowboy songs, ect] I ever played, hell, this was the fist time I seriously played this kind of stuff. I got through it............. and I guess I wasn't that bad, because he keeps hiring me every now and then. :bassist:

8. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004

yeah and if i cant play the songs that well? i could just pull a townshend and start smashing things, i am planning on a few windmills, and playing my generation maybe, an definately some clash.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    big secret - well not really
    take notes - even if you cant read music, write down the basic form, chord changes, turnarounds, hooks, etc - whatever you need to jog your memory

i have one of those mini music stands that you clamp onto a mic stand and use 4x6 (i think maybe theyre 4x7) note cards with my final notes written in black marker - and i use a binder clip to keep my notes secure

usually i end up not needing them except for the most complex songs, but the process of really analyzing the songs helps a great deal

also - as long as you have recordings of the songs - listen to nothing else before the gig and listen to them often (i know, this could be painful depending upon the music :p )

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I love you, I'm just trying to motivate you ROTC style.

11. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004

ROTC?

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Army style, dirtbag.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Update, we're playing a show this Friday too. :)

14. Dan

Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK