1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Better Guitarist: Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughn?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 3, 2020.

Who was the better Guitarist, Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughn?

This poll will close on Apr 3, 2030 at 1:21 AM.
  1. Jimi Hendrix

263 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. Stevie Ray Vaughn

133 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Carrot slinging 6 string

105 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

If this question causes you consternation, please take a breath before replying.

Based on your personal criteria of makes a great guitarist, who do you think was the better player, Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughn? Personally, I much prefer SRV as a guitarist. For me, SRV was a much tighter player than Jimi, and I don't like things too loose.

2. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    Hendrix was an American innovator. but neither of the 2 completed their carreers due to
    early demise. Hendrix died very young, who's to say how tight he woulda been at age 30

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Excellent point!

shadven and TN WOODMAN like this.
  4. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Hendrix by a long way. Thing about his playing was utter command. The dude was playing soul music, in the sense of it being an extension of his soul.
    I learnt to play guitar by learning Hendrix, my first song on guitar was "Purple Haze" then the rest of Are You Experienced, then I learnt all of Axis:Bold As Love, then Electric Ladyland, then I learnt "Machine Gun" and "Who Knows" from Band Of Gypsy's but decided to stop learning anymore because I wanted to keep the mystery there.
    I learnt some Stevie Ray Vaughan too, it was quite a lot easier to do, especially after learning so much Hendrix.
    I dig some Stevie, but I don't like his Hendrix covers. He got the notes but not the vibe or feel of those. He is much better doing his own thing, like "Lenny" which is an absolutely beautiful piece if music.

5. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    SRV technically tighter, his hands were so expressive it went right to your heart, and he played no wasted notes.
    Jimi innovated, moved electric rock guitar several steps into new territory, he was historically more significant.

DanGR, john akers, ndukane65 and 31 others like this.
  6. IMO they were both at a level where "better" doesn't have any meaning. It's perfectly fine to prefer one over the other, though.

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I like them both.

I would listen to Jimi but play in Stevie’s band.

8. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Stevie hands down IMO.

9. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Well... I could understand what Stevie was playing but with Jimi I felt I needed a bigger doobie. To me Jimi was wayyy too far out there. (for me)

10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    they were both great guitar players, and while one doesn't seem to be better than the other to me, they played different types of music and had very different styles. to me, that means this comes down to personal preference.

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Lol! These threads are starting to pick up steam... what's next?

Which do you like best?

• Stock tricycle
    • Harley three wheeler
    • Hoverboard, with a carrot kickstand

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  12. Auspuff

Auspuff Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    LaLa Land
    I vote Tommy Tedesco.

13. The musical world is very different from 50 years ago (Hendrix) and 30 years ago (SRV). Now we have geniuses like Tosin Abasi.

RavenRoadie, Mr_Moo and pacojas like this.
  14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

SRV was a boring copicat of Albert King and Hendrix.
    Adult oriented blues, to respect the terminology from the 80's.

I'd bet it's been a few years since anyone in this thread listened to anything from him but Texas Flood.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    grrg63, bassboysam, Ray James and 7 others like this.
  15. howardf

howardf

Jan 28, 2020
    I always felt like SRV was Hendrix 2.0. He was very clearly influenced heavily by Hendrix, and his covers of Hendrix songs sound like heartfelt thank you's for the inspiration. Wish they could have met.

Novarocker, ndukane65, Eric66 and 8 others like this.
  16. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Exact opposite of your preference :
    I prefer Hendrix because he's wilder while SRV seems too polite and clean in his playing for me !

But I never listened too much SRV I confess, I kind of hate the 80' chorusy cheesy feeling in his songs.

17. Lagado

Lagado

Jan 6, 2020
    Stop the madness
    It reminds me of an interview with Muzz Skillings of Living Colour (back then) that I read in Bassist Magazine about 30 years ago.

He said he came downstairs one day and his brother was playing Jaco's solo album. Muzz effectively told him "Look I can play all of that stuff, what's the thing?" His brother retorted "You may be able to play that stuff, but could you have composed it in the first place?"

I remember Skillings said this little conversation had a profound effect on the way he viewed musicianship. There are a lot of great technicians around... The first thing that struck me about SRV was how tight his time was for what he was playing, but that isn't everything.

grrg63, Novarocker, chuckNC and 7 others like this.
  18. Aragrim

Aragrim

Dec 3, 2019
    Belgium
    I'm also a guitarplayer for 15 years now and I cannot stand Hendrix!
    His sound is terrible and he always sound out of tune! He can't even bend a proper note.
    Most overrated guitar player EVER!
    Sorry for all the Hendrix fans

19. They were both better than any of us! ;)

Novarocker, 2tek, Ray James and 15 others like this.
  20. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    I have to put Jimi above Stevie based upon the bands backing them. Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding absolutely rocked!