Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Better in a band!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Obsolex, May 2, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I'm kind of having trouble making stuff up. I was just wondering what you though about, if I got in a band/when I get in a band, do you think it will be easier to make things up? I kind of want to be in a funk metal, one, also like MuDvAyNe mixed with Primus and RATM. thanks _-soto-_

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    your level at wich you play gets much better in a band then by yourself. You will have to learn songs to play and the art of playing with a drummer and guitars and all will help alot.

3. if you and your pack manage to work together fine, it is going to be WAY much better than playing by yourself..

The things to take care when you're starting, are:
    Check the volume levels.. If anyone's sound is vanishing somebody else's, there is going to be a volume competition and it'll be a loud mess..

If things aren't going well with the coordination of the members.. take a time to make comments and sugestions to your partners..

Man, I miss jamming freely with a band..

:meh:

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Good, a little while ago, about 6 months ago... I had a horrible "bassist block" and I couldn't really make up good stuff. I played with a few of my friends and it was really easy to come up with stuff, but I havn't jammed in about 5 months... :) :D _-soto-_

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Playing in a band is one of the main reasons we do what we do.......by all means, get out there and jam:bassist:

6. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    I have the problem of thinking up a lot of nice tunes in my head but not knowing where to start on my bass. Or, more often, I think of them as a whole with guitar and drum parts as well, and that gets a little frustrating. Sorta an "Huh...well, I hope I remember that when I know what to do with it" thing. Hopefully I can get an instructor soon, and for a lot cheaper than the guy who left town right before I called.:meh:

7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    No way... I'm not near in that predicament... I can think of almost anything to play in my head, and if I actually work hard enough (if needed), I can usually tab it. But a lot of the things that I come up with in my head are for songs and such. Like, with guitar and drums... _-soto-_

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Wrong forum, moved to Miscellanious

Now get out there and start jamming.