Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Better or worse than Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattsk42, Aug 15, 2005.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Well I'm back with some more money saved up. I decided to go no higher than 700 shipped. I can get a Lakland new from muscian's friend for 669 shipped. That's the best I've found so far. I have played a Lakland and love it, other than that, not much. I don't like Fenders very much, mostly because of styling but also because everyone has one and I'd rather be SOMEWHAT unique if I'm going to spend this much. I don't like the feel of them either.

Only specs. are bolt-on/bolt-on sound (punchy-er), no fenders, and 4 string.

So is there anything better for the money than that Lakland?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/517708/

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not much, those are VERY nice for the price.

3. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I just got a 55-01 from Bass Central two and a half weeks ago .
    I bought it as a back-up to my Warmoth Gecko , but those plans quickly changed .
    Very high quality !! :hyper:

4. mattsk42

I found maybe 2 EB/MM Stingrays for close to that price. Are those generally a lot more expensive? What are they like?

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Stingrays are great basses, but if you're looking to be somewhat unique as you say in your first post, you'll have to look elsewhere -- Stingrays are very common, because they are a great mass produced bass.

Laklands are excellent basses for the money. Look for a used 44-02 or get a new 44-01. You'd have a tough time finding anything better in the price range, since you've already ruled out the Fender Geddy Lee.

6. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, i recently played a 44 at bass centre in North Melbourne, and i played a stingray. i would say that they are on par as far as playability and build quality (i.e they are unbelievably awesome). As for tone, only you can decide which you'd prefer.

7. mattsk42

Well that wouldn't be a problem. Stingrays are not common around here. So either would be ok? What's the difference in tone? Very much? I can't play either in this state as far as I've looked, so I just need to go on opinions. I know I like the Lakland, but how does the Stingray compare? Thanks!

8. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I like my JO a bit better than my 44-02. Can find a used JO on eBay once in a while.

And yes - the JO looks like a Fender Jazz - so maybe its not as unique a shape as you want. But is does sound great.

9. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    If i were to get a lakland, would it make more sense to get a 44-02 used or 44-01 new? Is the 44-02 that much better to justify it being used? (those are the only 2 lakland options in my price range)

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Vintage Bass Trading Co. (Dude at the Dudepit) and Bass Central will both beat Musicians Fiend price. Dude has the best prices on Laklands out there. Do yourself a favor and give him a call. Save some money, plus have good service after the sale should you ever need it.

11. mattsk42

Yeah thanks to all who recommended. I e-mailed him and am waiting a reply.

12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    FYI - the black 55-01s are backordered until September, and ones in natural and 3 tone sunburst are due in November.

13. mattsk42

Thanks for the tip. The cheapest of all so far is a demo 55-01 in natural/maple w/ full waranty right now. I'd prefer 4 string. I'd even sell this and get a 4 if I KNEW someone would take it. It seems like Lakland can't really be beaten at this price. (700 and below)

14. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    I would give the G&L Tributes a look. Are they better than the Lakland Skylines? I don't know you'll have to decide that.

I own both, they both Kick some serious booty. Quality is first rate, and both companies have excellent customer service.

If you are willing to go used, you can pick up American made G&Ls for $700 fairly easily.

15. mattsk42

OK, I'll look into those too. Thanks!

16. mattsk42

I like those Tributes a lot. What do they play like? And sound? I saw that they're passive/active, so is there a pretty wide range of tones? Thanks!

17. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    +1

I have an '83 USA L2000, which I bought used w/ a trade on a cheesy Ibanez bass + $350...and I love it! Very versatile onboard preamp w/ all the different settings. Mine has a chunky p-bass style neck that plays like butter. Theres a couple different neck options. I'd say the sound is agressive yet warm and smooth. The PU's are extremely hot. Kinda like a MM on steroids. G&L's are excellent quality instruments for the $.

I also want a Lakland too though. :D