Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Better Pickups For Yamaha RBX170

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by leaping badger, Feb 16, 2006.

1. leaping badger

leaping badger

Feb 14, 2006
    Ok then so i have a yamaha rbx170 bass, pretty cheap but it gets me by, but sometimes i feel the pickups aren't quite punchy enough and just aren't that good, what would be a good, not too expensive pickup to upgrade to? And which would make more of a difference to upgrade, the jazz type at the bridge or the p type at the neck?

2. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Buy a set of DiMarzio Model P + Model J. About 90 bucks new and really brings to life. I had that exact configuration (rbx170 with dimarzios) and it kicked major ass.

3. I ordered a Will Power Middle Pickup, for my ERB070(same as RBX170, but without J pickup) I'll pm you on how it sounds once it gets here :d.

4. DiMarzios are good and resonably priced. Probably the cheapest but quite good. Get those with low noise. Maybe Ultra Jazz .... Read reviews on TB.

Get a set of good strings as well. Will help a lot as well. Avoid fender. Ernie Ball is good. Maybe D'Addario, Rotosound, etc. Depends on the type of music that u play, punchy & bright use stainless. Nickel gives a mellower sound.

I have a RBX370A and a Lakland 55-01. My Yamaha 370A uses EMG PJ set pickups with Noll 2 band EQ (power supply@18v) with Ernie Ball nickels.

Why the extensive upgrade? Because it is worth it. Yamaha is worth it. The wood and overall acoustic quality/tone is good. The hardware are decent.

Finally the difference between my Yammy and Lakkie now, is about 30%.