Better Pickups For Yamaha RBX170

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by leaping badger, Feb 16, 2006.

1. leaping badger

leaping badger

Feb 14, 2006
    Ok then so i have a yamaha rbx170 bass, pretty cheap but it gets me by, but sometimes i feel the pickups aren't quite punchy enough and just aren't that good, what would be a good, not too expensive pickup to upgrade to? And which would make more of a difference to upgrade, the jazz type at the bridge or the p type at the neck?
  2. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Buy a set of DiMarzio Model P + Model J. About 90 bucks new and really brings to life. I had that exact configuration (rbx170 with dimarzios) and it kicked major ass.
  3. I ordered a Will Power Middle Pickup, for my ERB070(same as RBX170, but without J pickup) I'll pm you on how it sounds once it gets here :d.
  4. DiMarzios are good and resonably priced. Probably the cheapest but quite good. Get those with low noise. Maybe Ultra Jazz .... Read reviews on TB.

Get a set of good strings as well. Will help a lot as well. Avoid fender. Ernie Ball is good. Maybe D'Addario, Rotosound, etc. Depends on the type of music that u play, punchy & bright use stainless. Nickel gives a mellower sound.

I have a RBX370A and a Lakland 55-01. My Yamaha 370A uses EMG PJ set pickups with Noll 2 band EQ (power supply@18v) with Ernie Ball nickels.

Why the extensive upgrade? Because it is worth it. Yamaha is worth it. The wood and overall acoustic quality/tone is good. The hardware are decent.

Finally the difference between my Yammy and Lakkie now, is about 30%.