Better Pics of my Dingwall

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juneau, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    For those that might care, finally got around to getting some good pics of my bass, so I thought Id post em up. The old ones didn't show off the wood as much as I would have liked :)

2. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    i love it. is this crazy-low action playable in a rock band setting? :)
  3. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Looks very nice. I'd love to try a Dingwall.
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

Couldn't say for certain as I never play that style of music, but its deffinantly playable in every type of music I play. I actually lowered it recently because I was working on tapping a bit and it made it much easier. It is a little too low for comfortable slapping right now though. More to the point, popping hehe, but its more than possible, just have to be a little lighter in my attack.
  5. Beautiful bass, man! That flame is nice.
    I tried a Dingwall for the first time the other day. The fanned frets make a lot of sense, and the B string is everything they say it is. Enjoy yours!
  6. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Oh and Frank (FCM3), if you happen to check this thread, here is a reminder for you to email me your Dingwall gallery hehe.
  7. Fliptrique-
    Yes that low action works great for rock-n-roll, 70-s motown and pretty much everything inbetween. I find the Dingwalls sit in great w/ the mix and have the punch to cut thru a hyperactive drummer.
    Great pictures Juneau, the flame looks fantasitc. Sheldon asked me if i had a chance to hear the FD-3 and mentioned you as being the closest player (i know Texas is a huge state). My new Dingwall will have custom wound FD-3s so I'm not sure what regular FD-3's will sound like. My fretless Dingwall has FD-1s and I'm totally in love w/ the tone.
    Lastly i didn't forget about the Dingwall gallery, I'm just outta town for the next week,
  8. VERY Nice!!

A Dingwall is the only other bass I ever think about getting. I'd love to have a 6 string.

9. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, like FCM3 said, it is very playable.

Since the low strings have an extended scale, the strings are a lot tighter and more controlled, so they don't rattle against the frets so easily. Basically, it's like having all your strings behave like your D and G strings do on a normal bass.
  10. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    You can hear my pups in the link in my sig. All those songs were recorded DI, flat EQ pretty much so its a good idea of tone. Traffic and The Groove were done with Series config, June Tune was done with Bridge pup solo'd. Hope that helps out some. Sheldon's site has sound clips of his FD-3's I think as well alone:
  11. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Extremely cool, but I feel like I would get dizzy trying to play it.... :p
  12. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Nice looking bass. I like that black hardware, nice contrast with the finish.

Gonna have to try one someday.
  13. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Now to save up some money to put flammed maple or pau ferro control knobs and pup covers hehe. I think if I went with the flammed maple Id leave them natural finish so they'd jump out against the finish on the body.
  14. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Save your money and buy a Z2.
  15. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    Cool detail!
  16. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

Hehehe, if I saved up that much cash, I'd keep saving and just have my custom Prima made :)
  17. How hard is it adjusting your playing to the fanned fretboard?

Does it require special strings?
  18. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Adjusting to the fretboard takes about 5 minutes, literally. Its actually very easy if you dont look at the fretboard. Its more of a mental distraction than a physical one.

As for strings, I use Dingwall Strings, which are very nice. There are a couple of other manufacturer's that make strings long enough to fit on a 37" B though. FCM3 has used some other brands, he might be able to help more than I could. Id imagine you'd need at least a 41" string or so to wrap around the pegs. The headstock is actually pretty small, so doesnt need a ton of space to reach the tuning peg.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is one beautiful bass. I always enjoy your posts about that Dingwall because it is clear that love it so much. You devotion to one bass is a nice change from all the GAS that I and others pass around here. :bag: