Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Better sound soon !!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by afroman, Nov 6, 2000.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    My birthday is coming up the 18t of November, and I'm trying to think of a simple and cheap way to make my Epiphone Thunderbird IV sound better. I wanted to buy a Hartke amp and cab, but I'm saving for a trip to Cancun on the summer. I was thinking of one of these 2 products: the Tech21 Bass Compactor for $99, which is a compressor, and also turns my bass from passive to active or the Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI for $190.

Please ponder for a sec and give your honest opinion of which one I should buy.

Thanks

P.S. My amp is a Peavey TKO 115

[Edited by afroman on 11-07-2000 at 01:41 PM]

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I would consider replacing the pickups....which are the weak link in the Tbird.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My honest opinion: That $190 for the SansAmp could buy you a used Hartke cab. A compressor is not going to improve the sound of your bass or amp. Keep in mind that when it comes to "simple and cheap" ways to make your rig sound better, careful experimentation with the amp EQ and working on your playing technique top the list!!!

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the advice brianrost, the problem is that I'm from Puerto Rico, and nobody suplies Hartke around here, i have yet to see at least one person that has a Hartke amp or cab. Plus, if I buy a used Hartke it would be over the internet, and I have looked around and the average shipping charge is about $60... and for that, I would be better buying a new one. (for which I don't have the money now)

thanks anyway...