1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Better sound

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by mikejdexter, Oct 24, 2010.

1. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    I have a Palatino. It has been modified---Magnetic pick up put on---experimented with ways to make it more comfortable to hold to the body. It is now quite a 'presentable' sound--the guys seem to like it. I go through a G &K amp. The Bass sounds a cross between a Bass Guitar and an acoustic upright--but a bit more on the Bass Guitar side. My question to EUB players out there: what effect pedals to you use to get the sound you like?--to enhance the sound. I'm a Jazzer at heart.

2. Enhance the sound?
    In what way?

I don't use any effect.
    I want to get the most db-like tone possible.

3. duckyincarnate

duckyincarnate

Oct 18, 2005
    London, UK
    Same here. I would say that the magnetic pick up is probably giving you a more electric sound.

4. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Hello Francois
    Many thanks for a reply. Perhaps I should be more persific--to get a more of a 'fatter' sound--does anyone use such a pedal/effects unit that would do this?

5. What strings do you have on?

Also, as ducky suggested, a magnetic pickup might not be the best solution to get a better tone. At least less BG-like.

6. Double bass lessons from a double bass teacher. There is no other way.

7. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Concur with responses so far- an organic acoustic bass tone is not available in a stomp box. To most closely mimic the sound of an DB with an EUB is to resign yourself that it's all about technique. As for the gear, the biggest factors are strings and pickups. Magnetic pickups are great for clarity, but can't sound like a DB. Try a Full Circle or Realist (or something designed for DB)

8. duckyincarnate

duckyincarnate

Oct 18, 2005
    London, UK
    I would also say that a 'transparent' sounding amp such as the GK MBS150 or Acoustic Image and the like will probably help. So, proper technique, orchestral or hybrid strings, a piezo pick up and a clear sounding solid-state amp will be the best.

9. They sent me over here from the dark side.

What is the guts of DB technique please? I gather from watching good players on youtube that the side of the plucking fingers gets used rather than the tips so fingers point more down than across. Anything else?

My Stagg has stock piezo bridge and action. I find it works for me but what does it do to the sound to raise or lower the bridge? I don't think I would want it any higher than what it is now anyway.

My amp is Trace Ellliot gp12SMX. My tiny little cheapo practice amp sounds better. Lovely warm tone. Try to get that from the rig and it sounds boomy. Arrrg....

10. As said earlier in the thread, get a teacher, at least for a few lessons.

François

11. What does it do to the tone to raise or lower the bridge?

12. Lowering the bridge will usually give more of a fretless mwahhh tone, while raising it may get more thump.