Better sounding P-pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DeadRBassistNJ, Aug 4, 2005.

1. I have a Fender American deluxe P-bass which I like a lot, and i dont mind the tone, but sometimes I wish it sounded a little less like a P-bass and a little more modern. The traditional old school P-bass tone is too prominent. If I solo the bridge humbucker, the P-bass sound goes away some, but then its too bridgy sounding and doesnt sound too good. When I combine the two there's uber amounts of punch and articulation, but it has that P-bass airyness with no depth. I want a deeper punchy sound. With some EQ on my amp I can almost get the sound right, but then clarity suffers. Does anyone have any suggestion? I think my MIM Deluxe Jazz Bass sounds awesome, but the playability isn't there. I have a couple active EMG P-pickups laying around I could try.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

If you've got an EMG laying about you haven't tried why not drop it in and find out?
  3. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    If the EMG doesn't do your thing, I've heard the dimarzio model P, the funny looking one, should sound more modern than most any other P.
  4. EMG sounds like the choice for punch and clarity. A Duncan Hot P or Quarter Pounder P might be a good choice, but both are apparently very hot sounding. If you want to reduce the P pickup's presence in the mix, why not lower the P pickup and raise the MM pickup slightly? This may be able to compensate and slightly overcome the "airyness" of the P pickup.