1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Better Standalone? : Tri 210L or 21012R ? Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by petersenbass, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Can I get opinions on a comparison. I'm using a LMII head, it's my only head right now. I'm really close to doing a deal. It's crunch time. I need something to be a great do-it-all cab.
    In the meantime, I want to save for a 2-ohm head solution, so I can use a two - 4ohm setup.

Maybe I'll buy the 21012R outright, and trade my Aggy's for the Accugroove.

Any thoughts?

I have a MIA Fender Jazz with Barts and OBP-3,
    Schecter Stiletto Studio-6 w/ EMG-DC's and OBP-3

I play in a sometimes somewhat loud
    cover/party/frat trio, a LedZep tribute band,
    and I pickup gigs around Nashville.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Interesting choice, these cabs sound nothing like each other. But something tells me the Schroeder's loudness is going to suit your needs better as a stand-alone.

3. Well, I've yet to try the Accugroove. I know it's deeper, but I guess not
    "as loud" as the Schroeder.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Schroeder is the obvious choice for a standalone cab.

5. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    +1

6. Can anyone with experience compare two GS112's to a Tri 210L ? For that matter, also a 21012?

7. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I've played both cabs in store only, and the sound absolutely nothing alike. The Accugroove has a much higher fidelity, organic, deep sound. Very clean. The Schroeder has a very tight, punchy, deep low end paired with a compressed top end, and result in a very midrangey sound that extends deep into the lows, but not as much to the highs.

Personally, I love the way the Schroeder sounds, and if I was doing rock music, it's the obvious choice. However, if I was doing jazz, it would be the Accugroove hands down.

8. Thanks

9. Did you actually play through the 21012, or another Schroeder. While your description is relatively close to the sound of, for example, a 1212L, it doesn't match the very wide, deep, somewhat hi fi scooped sound of the 21012L to my ear (I have not heard the R, but would think it's at least similar to the L voicing... maybe a little tighter in the mids). Also, the Schroeder tweeter is MUCH more aggressive and sizzly than the very mellow Accugroove top end.

I would personally not recommend either of these cabs myself. The Tri210 is the darkest sounding cab in the Accugroove line to my ear... somewhat unbalanced. The 21012L is in the other direction to me... deep lows, sizzly highs, but a lack of midrange punch (it's a pretty nice 'modern slap' type cab though, if that's your thing).

The Accugroove Tri112 or Tri115, compared to the 1212L or 115L is a closer 'Apples to Apples' to my ear.

And, here comes my broken record recommendation:smug:... if you are looking for a loud single cab solution that has the mid punchy of the smaller Schroeder cabs, the more even mid response of the Accugrooves, but also some sparkle and aggressive upper mids, the new Bergantino AE line (especially the AE410) is smoking. The AE410 is about the same size, weight and price as the 21012L (and lighter than the 21012R), and is just as loud but more balanced from high to low, with that tight, punchy low end that many talk about and love with the small Schroeder cabs.

That particular AE (it's a 4ohm cab) with the LMII is just killer to my ears for a punchy, mid forward, tight, articulate tone, and it's loud as all beejeebus!

IMO

10. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I have played two Schroeder cabs, fairly extensively, at Bass Club Chicago. The 21012R and the 410L. I would agree that the 21012R is more of a scooped sound than the 410L (and I would assume the 1212L), but I still think that the treble bump is lower than what I would consider a traditional "scoop." I hear a lot of upper mids versus highs. The tweeter is definitely more aggressive, and, like I said, compressed to my ears.

I also agree that the Accugroove is among the darkest cabs I've heard. That "mellow" top end you described feels very natural and open when playing melodically up on the neck. I think it would shine in a jazz band or reggae/dub band setting. For a more modern, less supportive role, however, I would probably prefer the Epifani UL410 (which I've also only played in store) because I think it has a more practical tone for live work, which is a little brighter with a much more "present" top end. I would call it sparkly versus mellow. I think that I hear a lot more of the "true highs" in the Epifani, whereas I hear the "low highs" or "upper mids" in the 21012R.

11. I wish I saw more AE410's around used to try out...and buy.

I recently tried an Epifani NYC 310 with a Little Mark II (what I use).
    I really loved the tone. I only picked it up once, but I'm wondering
    if it's teetering on my weight limit.

I still like the Schroeders, I'm just not sure if a 1210L or 1212L will be enough for EVERYTHING
    with my LMII, that's why I was looking at the 21012L or 410L. I was thinking I could get a 1212L
    and then upgrade the amp later to be able to add a second...but that costs money.
    I'm also very happy with the LMII.

We'll see what happens when my GS112's sell.
    After buying the aggy's, I only played a couple gigs with them when a nightmare of an electrical
    problem contributed to the speakers failing. They've been replaced, but the cheap temp Hartke 4x10 replacement
    on the trailer has been seeing the battles.

A couple new project demands a real rig. I'll use the GS112's till something else happens. I do like them...
    I'm just not sure if they're me.

I may keep them and just save for a standalone cab like a 410L or 310NYC, that way I have options.
    I just think I'm looking for something with a different midrange. I have my first gig in a longtime with the
    GS112's tonight...Dan Mcguiness East in Memphis..... we'll see.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad we have this forum. {tear falls} ...I love you guys

12. +1 to all of the above.

I've been really digging the new little Schroeder 115L+. It has that nice, full range of treble, from the very upper mids and low treble coming from the driver, to the upper treble sparkle from the tweeter. It has a very tight low end, but is pretty darn even through the mids. It's about the size of most 112 cabs. Pretty cool!

13. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I'm definitely anxious to try one out, along with the 2x15 model. I've never been much of a believer in 15's, but everyone's description has me reconsidering!

I also want to try those Bergs you always rave about :D Someone posted that Bass Club Chicago has them now, so I'm going to have to take a trip down there. I'm still searching for a lightweight replacement for my Goliath III.

14. I had a Goliath III 4ohm when I first got my LMII.

It was the greatest tone, I loved it...and loud,too.

But, it was just too heavy for me.

15. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    That's basically what my problem is, too. But mine is 8ohm, which I'd also like to change. And, I could use a tighter bottom end. The Goliath's is nice, but it's just a little too open sounding for me. The top end is incredible though.

But honestly, I'm nit-picking tonally. It sounds great, but it is very heavy.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    IMO you should probably try the Schroeder 412L as well. It's only slightly bigger than a typical 410, only weighs a little more than most neo 410's, but is also loud as hell and sounds much fuller/bigger than it looks.

17. Just so happens I use both those in my rig right now. The GS112's have a depth and creamy smoothness that few other cabs can offer, but they lack midrange, punch and definition... that's where the Tri 210L comes in. They make a killer combination and really compliment each other very well.

18. I agree. The GS112'S are quality cabs. I used them last night, and couldn't believe how deep they were for their size. The B string came through very well.
    I barely boosted the low mid knob on my LMII, and I got a great tone.
    I just like a more present or agressive midrange.

19. +1! That's why I combine those cabs... it's like they were made for each other.