1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

better strings for an Ibanez AEB305?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chuck3, Oct 3, 2009.

1. I got an Ibanez AEB305 acoustic-electric 5-string a while ago off Craigslist as a practice bass when I don't want to plug in, and for possible use in some country songs. It's fine for practice but the problem with using it live is that people hear it as very metallic - which it is, even with the EQ adjusted. It's got very metallic-sounding roundwounds on it (don't know what they are as I didn't put them on.)

Any suggestions for strings that would produce a mellower sound? I know I can go with flats, but particular suggestions for a model like this? BTW, it is 32" scale.

2. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    No wonder 8 years with no replies. I can't find strings that fit through the bridge!

3. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    2015-2009=6

4. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    :thumbsup:

5. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    I have the 4 string aeb I know it doesn't help but I got the LaBella Beatle bass tape wounds to fit.

rugrat likes this.
  6. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Maybe it just seems longer. Waiting can be harsh.

rugrat likes this.
  7. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    My Breedlove is also a 'string through bridge' design, and the only way I could use tapes on it, was to lightly drill out the holes in the bridge.

It was a simple matter, but a little nerve wracking to be using a drill and file on a brand new $1K+ bass.

8. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    D'Addario tapewounds.