Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassampegman, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Hi i have been using the Ampeg SVTCL all valve head with an Ampeg SVT15E and SVT410HE cabs. I happy most of the time with the sound, i play rock fingerstyle using Musicman Bass.

Sometimes i wish i had a clearer more punchy sound, i find i have to have my guitar treble turned up a fair bit and the treble on the head turned up to about 3/4 to brighten up
    the sound ( this is a cause of using fingerstyle i guess )
    I always keep the horn turned off as with the amount of treble it sounds very hissy.

Can anybody tell me is there a better sounding amp head to try instead of the Ampeg, i had the SVT3 PRO but found that a little under powered. I need a good 300w valve or a loud 450w solid state, the SVT3PRO was a bit down on its power even for a stated 450w head.

I have seen local UK bass players using Ashdown and Hartke ( all about 1/4 the price of Ampeg ) but im reluctant to change if im likely to be no better off.

I like a full low bass ( not boomy ) with lots of top twang, a bit like the punk type sound, the sound has to be full and punchy as we only have one guitar player in the band so my bass has to fill out the sound during guitar solos etc.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    From what you're describing, try to find a used Trace-Elliot V8.
  3. Thats like looking for hens teeth !!

What is so special about the Trace v8, i guess its a valve amp, any other suggestions or am i looking for the impossible, lets face it the Classic head does sound very nice.

4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Go back to your Ampeg dealer and try the B4r. I use it with those same two cabs. 1000 watts ss power. very punchy, very clean. I usually turn my tweeter off, or no higher than 1/4.
  5. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    EBS I think the fafner is the wepon of choice. 350 watt I think. GK is a dynamo as well. The 800RB is 400 watt. Very focused tone.
  6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'd say just go out and get a BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer. I used to have a '68 Ampeg V4-B, and wouldn't play it without my BBE. For those type of amps, I think you need a little extra something like that to help out on Ampegs for that sound you're describing.
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah... a conversion to SS might be the right road for you. One feature I like on the B4R and 4Pro is the crossover... which would bode well for you, since you sport a 4x10 and 1x15.

If you wanna stick to all-tube... you could try and check out the SVT2-Pro... although it has its downsides. The 9-band EQ could help you locate your sound a little better. Also maybe the Mesa 400+.

I'm not sure about the Sonic Maximizer idea... no experience with it... but it seems interesting.

I suggest you leave the Tube Power behind. Maybe give the SVT4-Pro a try, or the 2Pro.
  8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The BBE is quite easy to use, so no real experience is needed. You just plug into it and it works. I found it invaluable when using my Ampeg. Was just way too muddy without it. A Mesa 400+ would be a great alternative to the CL, IMO.
  9. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I definitely agree about the BBE.... go out and get yourself a Sonic Maximiser. Definition & punch won't be a problem! :bassist:
  10. boo

Oct 12, 2002

That sounds like you need the Aguilar DB750 :D :D

11. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    If you have the cash +1 on the Aggy. If you have not quite enough cash I'd go with a 400+ if that's the tone you're going for.

I also have it on good advice that Glocks are freaking amazing. If you get the chance buy one and tell me how it is.

12. my dream gear would be this head with the 4X12 cab!!!

ONGO on Overdrive!!!
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: