Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Better Than Loooper?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My friend is kind of an effects junkie too, and he just googled and showed me some stuff. He showed me a site called Pedalboards.com (how ironic) and I was browsing around on it. This site has all sorts of stuff like built in AC and true bypass strips (ala loooper.) These strips seem to take up a lot less space. Does anyone have any experience with these? It looks very enticing. You can also buy them prewired and everything. SO, does anyone have any experience with any of this stuff? Who know, there may be a purchase with one of these... if I could find the damn prices. :p

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Looks expensive.

Looks cool too :bassist:

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Expensive is true. I've seen pedalboards go for a price that high, but I think it's awesome that all you have to do with this board is plug it in, and then you're ready. You never have to move anything really.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Musictoyz sells them. They are like 250 for a six channel switcher.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yeah but what happens when you add effects? If I buy one of these, I will have some serious future expansion possibilities built in.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    There's a con.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's wired just like a Loooper AFAIK, only using custom made boxes instead of market ready ones. Take more work, custom shape, and for the same quality, you get a longer, skinnier product. Theses are used more in the high-dollar, professional rigs...because they are EXPENSIVE!

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah, I see. I love how they don't put prices. :rollno:

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    All custom jobs my friend. All custom jobs. They make them to your specs, so it's impossible to give prices for everything. Email them for a quote, but don't drink soda, it WILL come out your nose.

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Wow, I didn't know that a ordering pedalboard is such a humbling experience. Why are they so freaking expensive? Because they can?

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hand wired, built to order, made with the best parts, the box is handmade, finished, etc.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I dont get why if you were going to spend that kind of money of a pedalboard you wouldn't just rack 'em all up and use a decent MIDI interface?

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Because you can't turn up the gain with your toes that way. I'm always adjusting my muff with my toes.

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You play barefoot?

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have no words

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Gotta be comfortable my man!

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Who's askin? ;)

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well, I tried once, but then I stepped on a cord and shocked myself.

I like shoes.

19. Weeeeelllll it's good I suppose, but from what I see you're not paying for anything extraordinary - you're paying for some guys labour. If you're half handy with a soldering iron and some tools (or have a buddy who is) you could knock up a very similar thing without too much effort.

Are you related to Alanis Morisette? I have a theory that she named that song "Ironic" not because of it's lyrical content, but because it was ironic that she named a song "Ironic" that wasn't in the least bit ironic.

Now, for future reference;

i·ron·ic adj.
    1. Characterized by or constituting irony.
    2. Given to the use of irony. Synonyms; sarcastic.
    3. Poignantly contrary to what was expected or intended.

20. As much as I like your 9 year old tangent about a song of the same age.... he was trying to be "sarcastic" about the name of the new place to find "pedalboard" stuff...

actually giving a advice on fourm and not shredding someone - now, THAT would be ironic