1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Better than Rotos?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by williamk, Oct 4, 2009.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I play a Ric 4003 and love the sound it has with Rotosounds (rounds), but those strings last like 2 weeks. After that, they're dead. Are there other strings that sound pretty much the same (bright and growly) or sound very good with Rics but that last longer?
    thanks!

2. Hi Beams. End of discussion.

3. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    BOO YAH. Hi Beams kick if you want bright, growly, and long lasting.

IMO yadda yadda. :bag:

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have a few basses that have their High Beams on for a year now and still zingy.

5. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    I m a fan of the fat beams. almost as much zing but a bit warmer.

6. I personally think Low Riders are closer to Rotos, more stiff and more low-end. And last 10x longer than Rotos of course.

7. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    DR lo-riders!

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Another vote for DR Hi-beams here. The best strings I've played.

9. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    stiff? I don't like when my strings are all "slack" so to speak, I like them nice and stiff, so I guess High Beams is a good choice for me. I'll check that out!

10. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    ...I just saw they were hand made. Do they cost twice as much as all the other strings??

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Check them out here.

12. Kevinmach

Kevinmach

Dec 7, 2008
    No. They are in the same ball park as the Rotos.

I have Hibeams on one bass that suits it really well, but I've got the Roto Swings on my more expensive bass. I like them both, but I think the Rotos a tad better.

13. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Uh, Rotos are handmade too, well to the extent that DR's are.

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I haven't found that much difference between Hi-beams and Rotosound in my experience. To be more detailed, both sound zingy when new, with the Rotos shading it in this respect. After playing them for a while, the DRs do retain more of that initial bright sound for a bit longer - they settle at say 60% compared to the Rotosounds at 50%. But the point is, niether of them sound like new strings after playing one or two gigs.

And over here, I can buy Rotosounds for a lot less than the DRs. So, having tried three or four sets of the latter, I'm using Rotosound again, as I have done in the main for the last thirty years.