Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

better to recone, or buy new speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Apr 11, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, we recently blew a pair of Bag End PA speakers (by overpowering, it was no fault of the speakers :D), from the old style TA-12 cabinets. They use the standard SE-1280 speakers.

The question is, is it better to get them reconed (for about 50 bucks apiece), or is it better to buy new speakers (for about two hundred bucks apiece)?

If they get reconed, will they sound the same (more or less)?

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  3. Any time I've had speakers reconed, they've always come out like brand new, with one exception.

But... with all the speakers being manufactured "overseas" to amazing tolerances for the price, it's almost stupid to get a recone done for $50 and the wait time to instead get a new speaker for $45 or whatever...

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    the smart money goes to a the good reconer every time.
    Assuming of course the speaker isn't a piece of junk to begin with.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Last year I put new exact replacement speakers in one of my SWR goliath Jr's and reconed the speakers in the other cab. No difference in sound at all.

6. Be sure to use the factory recone kit. It will be more expensive than the el-cheapo after market kits, but your driver will sound like "factory" when the recone is done. The after market kits are a crap shoot.

7. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    The recone is only as good as the person who does it. Make sure who ever does know what they are doing and is experianced. For god sakes don't try doing it yourself, its a lot more complicated than it sounds. I used to work for a JBL certified recone center so I have seen what a bad 'cone job can do.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Recone

IME, bagend is excellent about reconing drivers, and is very liberal in taking back some stuff that was damaged by stupidity, (not that you should take advantage of them, just FYI). I've never blown one myself, but my local BE dealer has seen it all. :rolleyes:

and yes. they'll sound like new.

FWIW, if you are really pumping some serious watts into the cabs, you may want to ask BE about using their high output 12" drivers instead. they may or may not be appropriate for the TA cabs, but they'll let you know. The caveat about those drivers is that they need a lot of watts to open up and sound good, but they can handle a lot more than the standard 12" bag end driver from the TA cabs, (which is a different driver than is found in the S12, which contain a 3rd type of 12" driver) IIRC, the high output BE speakers are used in their "jem" series PA cabs.

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    +1
    This has been my experience, exactly!!!

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    And so they should. If done properly using the correct bits, they basically ARE new. Usually, everything gets replaced except the basket and the magnet.

The only time i advise against a recone is if your doing something that is likely to blow them over and over. You seem to realise what you did wrong so it should be OK.

12. A magnet shift is the reason to throw away the driver.