Better tone from the Rumble?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ricfunk74, Oct 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ricfunk74

ricfunk74

Oct 8, 2016
    I love the power to weight ratio of my Fender Rumble 500 combo and 2 X 10 extension cab, but it sounds muddy to me at times and lacks articulation. It seems like I'm not always punching through the mix in the upper registers with both horns on. I've gigged with it using a Rickenbacker 4001, a Jazz with roundwounds, a P with Rotosounds, and a fretless J. I generally use the "bright" setting. The "vintage" setting is all boom and mud. I've been exploring the option of using an external preamp into the effects return jack of the amp. I like the darkglass B7K. It sounds very articulate and reminds me a bit of an overdriven Marshall Super Bass. Then there's the Carl Martin Bass Drive which would run into the Rumble's preamp. I love the sound of my Ampeg SB12 Portaflex. I wish that I could have that tone with adequate power and light weight. Any thoughts on getting a nice warm but cutting tube tone from a class D solid state amp?

2. Have you checked out the Rumble Club thread's "tone pool" ?

Bodeanly, Linnin and ricfunk74 like this.
  3. Icemanaroonie

Icemanaroonie

Sep 6, 2015
    Delaware
    The rumble's have a bit of a scoop baked in them, and I find they pump a ton of sub bass. I used a B7K with mine which worked well. You might also consider a high pass filter set around 50hz.

4. ricfunk74

ricfunk74

Oct 8, 2016
    I haven't but I will. Thanks!!

rodl2005 likes this.
  5. ricfunk74

ricfunk74

Oct 8, 2016
    Bass galore on the "vintage" setting! Did you bypass the Rumble pre or use the B7 in front of it?

6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Killed_by_Death and Linnin like this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fender Bassman 500 or 800 would do nicely.

Icemanaroonie likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021